Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Therohetical Hunting Scenario!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Therohetical Hunting Scenario!

Given the choices you mentioned, I'd go with 308-220gr round nose. At those distances I wouldn't worry about the brush.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

I dont know that much, but if the objective is to have fun while hunting in thick brush, with a special gun, short ranges, and doing something different that the rest of us, then a special pistol, built to shot a 12 gauge slug, with a 20 or 22 inch barrel and a big muzzle brake would probably sound fun to me.
Just one crazy idea that came to my mind.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
I don't think there is any bullet/rifle combo that will maintain poa after impacting brush.
Steve
Ditto!

Brush Guns

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Feenix.

I'll repeat, no projectile stays on course after making contact with brush or any type of interference along the flight path. Shooting at an obstructed target is quite frankly irresponsible. There is no way to predict with certainty where that bullet will end up.

Steve
Old 12-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting... I wonder what GS means by "Bush and Dangerous Game Hunting" when recommending stability factors for their bullets?

I've never shot at game through brush and not sure I ever will, but this soundes like it would be a good experiment for a target set up behind some brush.

The article unfortunately doesn't provide any real refferences or data.

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 12-03-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

That is a pretty good read. Most of the loads are 2000fps or less. I wonder if the speed kept down is for less deflection. It makes you wonder how they shot prone and knocked Buffalo down with 45-70's and larger with good effect at long range?

I guess it is the theory of "a big hammer is always better.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
That is a pretty good read. Most of the loads are 2000fps or less. I wonder if the speed kept down is for less deflection. It makes you wonder how they shot prone and knocked Buffalo down with 45-70's and larger with good effect at long range?

I guess it is the theory of "a big hammer is always better.

Tank
Physics is physics and the laws of physics do not bend.

The name of the game is momentum and momentum is defined a P(momentum) = m (mass) v (velocity). a 200 gr bullet traveling at 4000 fps has the same momentum as a 400 gr bullet travleing at 2000 fps. All else being equal, it takes the same amount of force to deflect either bullet. The key phrase being "all else being equal". There are some other physical principals that complicate the picture. Namely, stability. If a bullet begins to wobble or tumble, then other "forces" begin to work on it and its fight path will be affected.

If a bullet reamains stable, it would take a great deal of force to deflect it significantly.

One issue with high velocity is a greater tendency to deform the bullet. Smaller, faster objects will deform more readily than larger and slower objects. This is why in many cases, a slower bullet will penetrate more than a faster bullet, the reason being the faster bullet expands to a greater frontal area and encounters much more resisitance. It also does much more damage through the channel that it does penetrate.

If I were to shoot a 200 grain bullet at 3000 fps through say10-20 ft of bushes with twigs and small branches I dont think the bullet would be greatly deflected by the time it reaches the far side of the bushes. Depending on its construction, it might open to some degree. It might also begin to tumble, but I think it would probably hit a 12" target on the far side of the bushes.

Anyway, my curiosity is now peaked. I will have to give it a try some time