Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Therohetical Hunting Scenario!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Therohetical Hunting Scenario!

Hard to beat a Marlin or Winchester leaver action with open sites in a 30-30 or 45-70. I have never though a bolt action is much of a brush gun.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Hard to beat a Marlin or Winchester leaver action with open sites in a 30-30 or 45-70. I have never though a bolt action is much of a brush gun.
A fair point, but.... I think the OAL of the rfile is more of a factor than the action and a short action bolt can be worked fairly effectively. Also, when hunting deer in brush, you are almost certainly not going to get a second shot. My uncle hunted with a semi-auto. He was by far the most successful PA deer hunter I know, in both year to year consistancy and quality/size of buck.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
My uncle hunted with a semi-auto. He was by far the most successful PA deer hunter I know, in both year to year consistancy and quality/size of buck.

Let's hope the game commission isn't reading this. Semi auto centerfires are illegal to hunt with in PA.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Let's hope the game commission isn't reading this. Semi auto centerfires are illegal to hunt with in PA.

Tank
Hmmmm.. you're right...maybe his shotgun was a semi auto? It's been years since I've seen the rifle and I just dont remember it being a bolt and it definitely wasn't a lever. Will have to ask next time I talk with him.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Theoretical Hunting Scenario!

Ive hunted cedar swamps in Michigan since I started hunting, that's some thick stuff. 12 ga slug has my vote and I agree it wasn't the best of ideas and I wouldn't recommend it, but I have "pushed" a slug through some brush at 50-80 yards without any problems on a couple of occasions. I think the heavier slower projectiles will maintain course a little better when encountering brush. But out of your choices listed I like the 308. my go to close range MI rifle is a 300 sav which is very close to a 308. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Bronze Member

I'm a big fan of large, bowling ball type heavy bullets and short, fast handling guns in brush situations. Bunches of years in the Florida swamps and palmettos with big pigs. A scoped Contender/Encore pistol in 45-70 with a 1.25x4 power would be the first choice. You're probably not gonna get a second shot. Picks up those openings in the brush well. And if you DO happen to hit a close (to the target!) limb you'll probably be ok. If I had to go long gun a Marlin Lever Action in a big caliber like that would do well, same reasons. But I've taken a lot of big porkers with a good long barrelled 44Mag.

Pick a spot...a LITTLE spot...squeeze....

Last edited by longrifle; 12-02-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Bronze Member

I once read an article in Outdoor life about brush guns. They tested several by shooting them through a box with some brush in it. None of the tested rifles fared very well. I don't remember all the calibers' used but I do remember they used 30-06, 30-30, 7mm mag, 12 GA, 375 H&H, and 45-70. The best cartridge was the 375 H&H. As I remember it placed 2 of three test shots on target. Target was about 50 yd. Most didn't hit the target at all. That being said I use a rem 7400 in 35 whelen. I hunt the thick brush in western Oregon and often have successful follow up shots. I also have a low power Bushnell elite so rain is not a big deal and I can try to shoot through the holes and not hit the brush. At least on the 1st shot.