Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is there any ballistics software out there that actually works?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Bronze Member

Is there any ballistics software out there that actually works?

Dear all

Just after some help.

After coming home after a couple of long range target practice days I have encountered seemingly, what are some big discrepancies betwen MOA calculations using Exbal and Sierra Infinity and what is actual MOA adjustment in the field. It prompted me to ask the question - is there any software that actually works out there?

Basically to explain the situation, I was shooting out to 600 yards. So before I went out, I ran the load I am using through Exbal to get a rough idea of the MOA correction I need to dial to get me on target.

Just to cut a long story short - every MOA figure according to Exbal was way out. For example it said at 550 yards I needed to come up 7.75 MOA. So I dial in 7.75, shoot 3 rounds and they are all way low. I ended up dialing in 9.50 to get on target. I was with a friend who uses Infinity so we run the figures through that and it says 8.0 MOA.

My point is that I have been in this situation before and I have had to put rounds on paper before I can confidently go out and hunt live game.

What should I be using (software wise) so I can confidently get accurate MOA adjustennt pre hunt? Does any such software exist?

Thankyou for any information/guidance to help get to where I want to be.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is there any ballistics software out there that actually works?

I've never had a single problem with Exbal. I had a good zero, based on a group that was less than .4" at 200yds with my 7mm Rem Mag. Exbal said 14.75moa to hit at 800yds. 3 shots later I had a 6" group at 800yds exactly centered on the target. Using Exbal only, I was on target from 200yds to nearly 1500yds with my 338AM. Same with my 300WSM etc.

I've found that with a good solid zero value and an accurate velocity, Exbal is very close.

What scope are you using? Have you verified it's clicks?

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 05-22-2009, 02:05 PM
JEREMY logan

Just want to throw this in what did you confirm your yardage with ?? That could throw you off target.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Bronze Member

AJ

I am using a 7mm Mag too. The scope is a NXS 3.5-15 x 50 which is virtually brand new. I have done a tracking test with this at 100 yards and it tracks perfectly.

Jeremy I am using a Lieca BRF pair of bino's to verify range.

The only thing I could possibly put it down to is sight height. I have input 1.5" from a previous similar set up but haven't actually checked this since. But I can't imagine that would make that much difference would it?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:45 PM
JEREMY logan

JON2 I HOPE YOU GET IT FIGURED OUT SOON, WHEN YOU DO LET US KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG. I JUST GOT THE NIGHTFORCE SOFTWARE FOR MY PPC HAVEN'T USED IT YET BECAUSE MY RIFLE IS AT THE SMITHS GETTING AN DEFENSIVE EDGE BRAKE INSTALLED . WHEN I READ YOUR POST IT MADE ME NERVOUS. WELL THEIRS SOME REAL SHARP GUYS ON THIS FORUM THEY SHOULD HELP YOU FIGURE IT OUT
Old 05-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Have you verified your velocity?

Southpaw
Old 05-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

Jon2
Most likely it has to do with the input of info or wrong info entered.
The two programs were within a 1/4 MOA but you were off by 1-1/2 MOA at only 550 yards.
This leads me to think you are doing something wrong, Not the program.
Where did you get the velocity? did you input elevation, did you use standard PB? bullet BC?
maybe it was just bad luck and all little errors added up instead out canceling out.

Not pointing fingers, just telling as I see it.
Some input is not right. figure out whats wrong and you will be fine.
fudge some numbers if you have to, untill the numbers meet your actual drops.

Cam