Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

And then there was 1.........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: And then there was 1.........

trued remmy action with a 22" border fluted barrel threaded for a moderator pillar bedded in a mcmillan hunter stock or a4/a5 stock with badger ordnance metal and a 3.5-10x40 M3 leupold or a 3.5-15x56 nxs with mildot , oh and i'd put a large bolt knob on as well and obviously a good trigger?

as for calibre , well , theres nothing wrong with a 308 for what you want and you'd get loads of ammo for reasonable money so you'd be able to practice a lot plus i think there is more info and loads available for the 308 than any other round? having said that i'm particulally in love with my 260 at the moment and think it's a great round ? no real need for magnums for what you intend to do?

we can have moderators here in the uk but i think it's tough in the states so either get a brake(not really needed with the above calibres) or just a nicely done thread protector.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Of your list, I like the 6.5x284, 280AI, and the 338 Norma. All ballistics marvels from what I can tell. Nice thing about the 338 Norma is that you can go with a 23.5" barrel and still be right on with velocities.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

I'm not sure I understand. Is the 23.5" barrel optimum for the 338 Norma? I have always been under the assumption that longer is better,especially in the bigger hammers.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Otter View Post
I'm not sure I understand. Is the 23.5" barrel optimum for the 338 Norma? I have always been under the assumption that longer is better,especially in the bigger hammers.
Depends on the cartridge. The 338 Norma is specifically designed for short barrels. The author of the article recommended not going any longer than 26". This would give you a couple re-barrels. It's a matter of diminishing returns. Some cartridges suffer velocity loss due to barrels being too long. Lilja has a great article on his web sight explaining this.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

You were right. There is a bunch of good reading over on the Lilja site. Thanks for the tip. I've often (and still do on occasion), ponder the ultimate PA deer rifle. I keep coming up with a .308 built on a 700 Remington.Trued and pillar bedded. It would of course be nestled in a quality LIGHT stock. McMillan perhaps. Now for the barrel. I keep coming back to a 21" light to medium varmint contour. Fluted if you like. Leupold VXIII 2.5X 8X in Talley mounts. My point is,short stiff barrels seemed to work super in the short range BR for score game. So why not on a 300yd PA deer rig? Personally I love the way a short weight forward rifle feels in my hands. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Otter View Post
You were right. There is a bunch of good reading over on the Lilja site. Thanks for the tip. I've often (and still do on occasion), ponder the ultimate PA deer rifle. I keep coming up with a .308 built on a 700 Remington.Trued and pillar bedded. It would of course be nestled in a quality LIGHT stock. McMillan perhaps. Now for the barrel. I keep coming back to a 21" light to medium varmint contour. Fluted if you like. Leupold VXIII 2.5X 8X in Talley mounts. My point is,short stiff barrels seemed to work super in the short range BR for score game. So why not on a 300yd PA deer rig? Personally I love the way a short weight forward rifle feels in my hands. Just my 2 cents.

If your going that route, build a .308 with a 20" heavy barrel. Shoot 175 or 180 grain bullets. That would get you to at least 500yrds. You could also smoke some 150grn bullets and still be effective to 500yrds. Another option is going with the same setup in .260, 6.5x47, 243 (for 300yrds), 7mm-08, 338 Federal, and 257 Roberts. Any of these cartridges in an Ackley improved version would just give you that much more. I wouldn't change the 6.5x47. These are all good calibers for a short barrel set up. Hope I didn't muddy up your head even more!

Tank

Old 11-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Not at all tank. I can talk rifles day and night. It happens every year. I'm sitting on stand,the same stand I hunt every opening day. Inevitably my thoughts turn to rifles. A long shot on this stand is 70 or 80 yards. The place was timbered 10 years ago,so you can imagine what sort of cover we are dealing with. Well,there I sit,with a 26 inch barreled 300 Ultra,or maybe the 30/06,7Mag,or 300 Winchester mag. I can't count the times I designed and re-designed a little tack driver for "Woodstails". Last season it took to the last day of the season,but I finally got a crack at a legal buck. I had carried my 30/06 all season,but decided to change my luck for the last day and took the 300 Ultra. Well under 50 yards,neck shot,off a mono pod. Needless to say the buck was DRT. That's just a little silly. Oh I stand some 600yd long fields down at my in-laws several times a season. Now there I feel right at home with Old Cruncher. Or the 25/06, 270, 30/06, 7 RM, or any other conventional deer gear. This is what makes my "One for all and all with one" rifle project so tricky. Mmm,mmm,mmm,that 338 Norma sounds sweet for sure. But, that is a mighty big hammer for the PA slashings. All the chamberings mentioned here are tempting. Aw heck. This is what makes this sport so appealing. The endless options available to us for that special build. I LOVE it.