Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

And then there was 1.........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: And then there was 1.........

Custom or remmy all trued up for an action. 24"-26" #4ish barrel in any of the custom sort, I think I would go Brux but it dont really matter. chambered in .338 Norma with a thread on brake and cap. some sort of manners carbon stock, fully adjustable. Seekins DBM. Night force uni-mount with a 3.5-15 NXS NPR-2 Reticule with zero stops and the high speed turret. Harris S-series with a pod-lock.

Man I wish I was in your shoes.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 AM
Silver Member

Mmm,mmm,mmm. 338 Norma eh? I like the way you think .
Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Otter View Post
Mmm,mmm,mmm. 338 Norma eh? I like the way you think .
Hey! I suggested it first!!! Just kidding. I keep forgetting about taking the break off when your not at the range and shooting in the field.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

I've killed antelope, mulies and elk in MT with the 300WM. It's plenty. I'm a little pissed off though, the wife and cousins plain 270Wins make bigger holes!

I think there's something to the 270 cal rounds, when a 110gr 6.8SPC is perfect for mulies. The wife's .270 WIN 130gr load has a 6" exit on a whitetail. Versus a quarter sized exit with 180 SPBT Horn. out of the 300 win.

Then again DRT is DRT.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

For at least 3 decades the 270 Win was my go to rifle. Deadly on anything from chucks to moose. Though it never shot an elk.

However, I have changed my ways since learning that big bores don't hurtcha.

The goto rifle for all of the same stuff that I used the 270 Win for is now an 338 RUM. It's nothing fancier that an untrued Rem 700 left hand sporter with a Holland QD brake and the tupperware stock that shoots lights out accurate. Its rigged single shot so I have no magazine, feeding or overall length problems. She weighs a bit less than 10# w/a 4.5-14 older Weaver Tactical scope.

The only down side is the 1/8" turret clicks. But we shoot well enough together to see one click difference at all distances out to 1200, so far. (:>)

I wouldn't recommend removing the brake for field shooting. No way! Ouch! Even with the Limbsaver recoil pad. Plus from a good prone position shots @ all distances are spotted by the shooter. Which is a super big PLUS!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

I've gone round and round with this trying to get what I felt was the best all around hunting rifle. For me, weight makes a difference. I like to walk long days and still enjoy a lot of spot and stalk hunting at great distances. I also enjoy long range shooting and hunting so wanted to cover that as well. I wanted some weight to the gun, but not burdened with something that was too heavy to comfortably carry all day for multiple days in a row.

OK, what I ended up with was a trued Remington action, a 25" Broughton 5C, 4.1 contour barrel with an 11 twist in 300 WM. Holland lug, Talley ring/bases, Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40 BC, McMillan Edge stock, also has a brake but hardly ever use it, preferring the threaded cap instead. I shoot the 180 AB at 3050 fps and it is manageable recoil and lights out accurate. The gun alone without the scope weights just under 7 lbs.

I used this exclusively on my trip to Montana this year and after several days of hunting, fired two shots to take a great bull and buck. It was a great hunt and I owe much of the success to a fine rifle.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Silver Member

She sounds like a real sweetheart . Wouldn't happen to have a snapshot of it would you?

This may take awhile. I was on the phone with a local smithy last evening. He was telling me about some of the really good shooting they have been doing with the 6.5 caliber. Various chamberings ,mostly wildcats. I have to admit to not being a big 6.5 fan, but I'm starting to feel left out. The internet is just buzzing with all these long range enthusiasts just plain tearing it up with the 6.5. So,I've added one to the list of potential chamberings.

6.5/284
270 Weatherby
280 AI
7 STW
30/06
338/375 Ruger
338 Norma

For now that is.........

Last edited by 25 Otter; 11-23-2010 at 05:47 AM.