Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

And then there was 1.........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

And then there was 1.........

Rifle that is. Lets say a fella wanted to build his ultimate one and only rifle. What would you build? It has to be capable of taking eastern Whitetails,western Mulies,Elk and Black Bear. Not too heavy,or too light. Wildcats are definately welcome. I have at my disposal both Remington and Winchester actions to build from. Standard and magnum. Blued or stainless. It will wear quality glass. So,lets have it boys. One and only one. Do it all no holds barred rifle.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: And then there was 1.........

Remington action, or clone (Tooley Orion). SS #4 (Lilja) barrel, fluted. HS Precision Detachable Magazine, Jewell trigger. McMillan Sporter stock, pillar and glass bedded. 300 Win Mag. Ziess 6.5 x 20 x 50 Mildot. Bearable recoil. No brake needed. Right around 9lbs. scoped. Done deal. Sounds like what I just had built.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

S&B Scope 5-25x56 Police Marksman II LP w/P4 Reticule, McMillian A5 or any A5 Stock with adjust ability, Hart, Lilja, or Brux barrel @28", 338 Norma Magnum or 300 Lapua Magnum, Surgeon or Lawton action, Surgeon bottom metal w/ DBM, and a Harris Bi-pod. Nightforce rings, and either the muscle break, or Kirby's pain killer. That would be my dream rig.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 11-20-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

Hey bb204,got any pics? You can never see too many pics of sweet rifles .

liltank, gotta say that would be a smokin' rig. If I'm going to have top end glass,I'm going to have to use a donor action that I already have. I may be selling 3 other rifles to fund this project.

I do like a brake,but think I will forgo it on a hunting rig. I've shot 2 benches down from some "Big Rigs",and had them move my rifle in the front rest! 30/378 wildcats mostly. They are a wonderful way of taming a real kicker. Paper and steel? Absolutely! I'd rather not on my game getter though.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Go with the Rem action timed and trued, in a 300WM or WSM or better yet, a 7SAUM with a 1:8 twist, Badger Ordnance bottom metal. 6.5x284 or a 6.5-06 would be nice too. I'll throw 280 or 280AI in the mix. 270 WSM ranks right up there too. Using the old reliable 338WM with some high quality 225's would definitely do the job as well. Keep everything else I suggested and throw a Night Force 5.5-22x50, Sightron SIII 8-32x50, Viper PST 6-24x50, Leupy MKIV 6.5x20x44 will do the job.
Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 11-20-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

dont usually get into 'who here hunts turkeys' posts of this type, but I'd like to say that every rifle from .243 to .375 H7H is a do it all rifle.

NRA Life Member
Old 11-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

One great gun, I kinda prefer the "and then there was 1 more..."

I'm a huge WSM fan, get a reamer set up for Norma brass and high BC bullets. I prefer Savage but for what your working with the Rem trued with a Jewell trigger would be my choice. I like a DBM set up for hunting, not for capacity but just for ease of loading and unloading with gloves on. Brux barrel, lightest contour that they can flute. A fine Joel Russo stock in a hunting style with a vertical grip. Scope base and rings just what ever works I'm not to particular. An all around rifle screams for a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 with velocity ballistic reticule, zero stop and high speed turret if possible. I'm thinking it would make a very versatile rig, you could hike it, timber hunt it, LR hunt it. I want to build something like this in a 338-300WSM but elk are the primary target. 270 WSM set up right is also awesome!