Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Thank You Kirby!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

Thank You Kirby!

I'd like to thank Kirby Allen for being such a gracious host. I flew out yesterday and met him for some Long Range shooting basics and also to try and figure out which caliber I wanted. I met him at the house around 8:00 a.m. and then we headed out to do some shooting.

I am amazed at the quality of the rifles that he builds. For someone that hasn't shot at anything further away than 350 Yds, using good equipment makes hitting the steel at further distances easy.

I started out at the 630 Yd gong, (Kirby, correct me on the distances if I have them wrong) and promptly rang it with the first 2 shots from the 7mm AM. Then he gave me the correct dope to line up on the 860 Yd gong and that one made a satisfying GONG after the next shot.

The next gun out of the case was the 300 AX. I didn't bother with the closer gong, but after one fouling shot the steel made noise again. Then he brought out the .375. After getting the the dope using Exbal, and firing a fouler, the gong rang two more times. The last shot proved to be too much for the target and it promptly fell over. So, we decided to pack things up and drive over, calling it a day for the shooting part of it.

I'll be trying to post pics shortly, but I'm amazed at the accuracy of the guns. When you look at the black square target, the lowest left splat is from the 7mm, the middle right splat is from the 300 AX, the splat to the left and slightly below the one from the 300 AX is the first shot on the target from the .375, and the uppermost right splat is the next shot from the .375. There was a slight wind from left to right, but I held right on and didn't allow for any wind for all the shots. Also, if you look at the right rear leg, that small hole is the fouler from the .300. Sorry Kirby!:o

Kirby, you have the steel and you can measure it if needed, but I think that's a pretty good group for that distance from 3 different calibers and rifles!

Thanks for the tips on judging goats. For a flatlander that will hopefully be goat hunting this Fall, it was a tremendous help!

Thanks again,
esshup
Old 06-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Gold Member

7mm AM @ 630 Yds

7mm AM, .300 AX and .375 AM @ 860 Yds
Old 06-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

O.K., any tips on inserting images in the forum??? I downloaded these from photobucket.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

For photobucket, it seems that you can't use the URL from your browser. You need to copy the "Direct Link" URL that they provide located in the lower left of each picture. Then paste that into the dialog that comes up after you click the "insert image" icon from LRH's editor - or just type [IMG] BEFORE and AFTER the link copied from photobucket with typing in LRH's editor.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

What gun did you decide on?

Just curious.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby in person is a great guy. I only spent an hour with him but I liked him immensely.

When you see the country he lives in, you suddenly remember the people who actually make America a great place to live. Good honest hard working people. Living in DC, I see too many of the people who try to make it a terrible place to live.

He is a remarkably honest and straightforward guy, and a remarkably good gunsmith.

Last edited by Buffalobob; 06-21-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: pstimac types too dam fast
Old 06-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstimac View Post
Just curious.
Thanks for posting them! As for inquiring minds, 7mm AM While this will be used first on an Elk hunt in 2009, I will most likely be using it on Mulies and Antelope in the future as well. I wanted a gun that would be light enough to pack around, but still be able to reach out and touch them. I think this one will fill the bill!

Last edited by esshup; 06-21-2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: clarity