Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

tested my ssg built Hammer UNBELEIVABLE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

tested my ssg built Hammer UNBELEIVABLE

i have to show you guys what can be done with a straight shot gunsmithing rifle. i have had nathan built me 9 rifle to date and i can only say amazing things about him and his family. on to why you guys are reading this. nathan, freinds and i went shooting a couple weeks ago we went praire dogging nate had built me a 22-250Ai i am shooting 75 amax at 3460fps we were able to make numeraouse hits out to around 700 on video. hopefully they can show those soon. after we fisnished we went to a different spot to try to hit one around 1400 unfortunitly we didnt get one. this is the reason that i pulled out my long range hunting rilfe. this is a 300rum shooting 210bergers 3190 fps. the pictures will show rifle then a couple 600 groups. left was 1st group and wind was up and down. right side and close up the wind stableized. the next pictures are at 1000 yards. 4inch group is 3rd group of the day and hand shows the last group of the day. these are amazing groups from a hunting rifle. THANKS NATHAN AND THE REST OF THE SSG GROUP.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: tested my ssg built Hammer UNBELEIVABLE

Excellent shooting!!!
Your rifle looks very nice. Congratulations to you and to SSG, for the super rifles they are building.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Bronze Member

TJon,

What loads are you using on the 300 RUM? Powder? How many grains?

I am using a 91.6gn H1000 and getting pretty good results. This is aload I picked up from GRIT, and I believe is the mas listed load on the powder bottle....So far I have been in the .28-.32 range on best groups at 100. Still looking for a longer range to really test it out!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

tjonh2001,
Congrats on an SSG rifle. Nate does quality work. I own one SSG rifle and another on the way. The first one shoots 4" groups at 725 yards. I anticipate the next one will be a shooter as well. I am a fan of those Pheonix actions that he uses also.
That is impressive velocity with the 210 Berger's and your 300 RUM. I didn't know that was doable without pressure issues. What is your load and barrel length ?

Last edited by trueblue; 09-10-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Silver Member

grit has a lot of good information when it comes to hunting and rifles im sure you could use that load at extended ranges. i wonder if thats the load that we used when he was here and we shot 1900 yards with the 300 rum he had.

i am shooting 210 bergers with 92.5 grains of retumbo. this is only a cooler weather load. i actually went to the range yesterday and am leaving in an hour for another range session. in temps above 70 i am seeing pressure signs. i am planning a hunt in a few weeks so i am going to back off alittle and get a load for warmer weather. be asurred i will be using this once we get those cold cool october/ november days.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Toby on Oct 2-9 a doe herd reduction hunt is scheduled for the south west part of the state. Game and Fish Department, North Dakota You might want to see if your unit is in their. You might be hunting sooner than you expected. When I checked it out yesterday I was pleasantly surprised.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 09-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Gold Member

Great shooting! What a beautiful rifle too!
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams