Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

A terminal ballistics question for experienced.308 hunters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 AM

A terminal ballistics question for experienced.308 hunters

I am currently working up loads for my Ruger No.1 in .308 Winny. I intend to primarily use the rifle in hunting of Deer and Elk. I am getting great groups with 168 gr. AND 180 gr. Winchester CT ballistic Silvertips.......and I am getting great groups with 165 gr. and 180 gr. Accubonds. My question is on terminal ballistics beyond 350 yards. While I can hit the game with any of these loads at those ranges, I have not ever done so with those bullets. I am concerned that the Accubonds might not expand sufficiently, or that the CT Silvertips might not penetrate sufficiently.

So, my question is this: With accuracy pretty much the same with each of these, which would you recommend and why? Thanks very much in advance because while I am very much enjoying testing these pills accuracy at the range, I really don't want to test the terminal ballistics on game.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

so why don't you test the bullets you intend to use, at the range you intend on shooting them. this is the only way to know for sure how they will react out of your gun, at your guns velocity.you've selected a couple of very good bullets and developed accurate loads. other than a drop chart there's only one thing left to do and that's test the terminal performance and decide for yourself which you like the best.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

For years we have hunted elk bear and deer with a 165 hornady
BTSP bullet with a interlock just a canalure around the bullet for
seating length, The lead fragments while going through the animal
cutting and making a good wound channel, if you hit bone the bottom
part generally stays together. Whats nice is doesnt cost as much and
in my opinion does a good job.
The bullet has a good BC and if you need more try speer 180 spbt
works great and a bc of 540...
Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

ON smaller animals,

in old Mexico we have shoot live running goat/sheep at 400 meters (430+ yards) and my favorite caliber is the 308, while many use the 243 win (less windage) many still shoot the 308.

my results with the 178 a-maxes are astounding, just never been able to recover a single bullet...complete pass through. lightning strikes!

remember you are shooting standing, at a live running animal.
the same can be said for the 168 mks, or gamekings.
only once I have witnessed 4 hits at the same animal with federal full metal jackets..(just kept running)

the competition is: the goat/sheep runs 150 yards@ 400 meters and you can shoot 5 times only while running. it means you can shoot a max of 5 animals, (if you dont miss..) you have to be a fast reloader.. these competitions gather hundreds expectators.

even the 243 win has complete passthroughs. even with 75 grainers...
believe me when I tell you those 85-90 grainers are nasty...they bring the animal quicker than the 308. ever seen a rabbit shot with a shotgun while on the run? the same with these animals..

I have shot almost every brand of bullets(in the 308), with good results, I cant complain of any. even those ugly sellier and bellot 150 grs...
which by the way are excellent hunting bullets.

right now i`m experimenting with a 6.5-284 with 120 grainers. but my pet rifle is a steyr ssg 69 match.

hope this helps, I would not hesitate on using any of the barnes 165 grains or an accubond... in elk even at 305+ yards...

even a 180 partition.
JOE