Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Temp Stable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

Temp Stable

Is there such a thing as temperature stable ball powders? I have a .308 build I am working on and think ball powders would give good velocity and load density, but wonder if I would be able to find one that is stable in a large range of temperature. The temp range would be spring through fall. That is about a 60 degree swing. I know I'm asking the impossible, but sure would be nice. Right now I'm playing w/ the idea of N150 and N550, which also puts me in the range for RL17. I'm also thinking about trying AA 2520 and IMR 4895.

I'm going to be loading a 155grn (strictly varmint and target. Thinking 155 Lapua scenar's or Sierra Palma) of some type, plus a 200 SGK (per Michele Eichle suggestions for LR deer work).

Should be a good load of info coming, can't wait to hear it.

Thanks guys,
Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 12-03-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Temp Stable

The word on the street is that the Montana Brand Ramshot powders are quite stable, although I use a good bit of it I still cannot say weather or not they have the "reported" stability; I just havent' had the opportunity yet. I can tell you that Ramshot Magnum is AWESOME in my 6-284, it's fast, consistent & best of all it's really clean.

Come to think of it... I used Ramshot X-terminator in a 22-250 pushing 40grn Barnes Varminator HP's to 4230fps, I shot in the heat of summer and the dead of winter without ever piercing a primer, splitting a case or having extraction problems... so in that rifle with what is obviously a "warm" load I can say that... well at least X-terminator is pretty stable.

I'd almost forgotten about that rifle....
Old 12-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
The word on the street is that the Montana Brand Ramshot powders are quite stable, although I use a good bit of it I still cannot say weather or not they have the "reported" stability; I just havent' had the opportunity yet. I can tell you that Ramshot Magnum is AWESOME in my 6-284, it's fast, consistent & best of all it's really clean.

Come to think of it... I used Ramshot X-terminator in a 22-250 pushing 40grn Barnes Varminator HP's to 4230fps, I shot in the heat of summer and the dead of winter without ever piercing a primer, splitting a case or having extraction problems... so in that rifle with what is obviously a "warm" load I can say that... well at least X-terminator is pretty stable.

I'd almost forgotten about that rifle....

Cool thanks, anybody else care to join the party?

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

I used H380 in the 220 Swift for many years. I Never noticed any change of impact point (out to about 500 yds anyway) from year to year with it. however, I never actually chrono'd it under extreme temp differences to say for sure if the velocity changed or not. Guess I never really cared how fast it was going as long as I was getting good precision and hitting where I aimed.

How far you plan on shooting???
Old 12-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
How far you plan on shooting???

Until I run out of clicks! Right now 50MOA is the magical number!

Tank

Old 12-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Good point SBruce, I don't recall actually using a chronograph on my loads in extreme cold, I was just basing the stability on POI shifts & pressure signs.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Temps will essentially be 40-45 degrees in the spring, and will warm up to the 50's and 60's until the beginning of May. From May to about June I will see 60's to mid 70's low 80's. From June through middle of August it can go from 80 to 100 degrees. About August is when the temps start going back down in the same succession as the spring until about mid November. Even then we can still be in the mid to low 40's. So that is what I am looking at.

Tank