Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Tell me what you think

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Silver Member
Tell me what you think

First of all I have to say I feel really stupid about this, but I'm over that. I just want to know if I caused any damage to a barrel.

Is it possible to mess up a barrel with a brass jag with a bore guide. Why I ask is I did something really stupid. I was talking to someone at the range and I thought I had saturated a patch in Shooters Choice, but I guess it was dry, and I put it down the barrel and it got stuck. :eek: The rod went through the patch and out the other end of the barrel so I pulled it back through and it got stuck again. After pulling and saying some words I probably shouldn't have it came back out so I then pounded at the stuck patch with the rod and the brass jag. I finally got it out but some of the noises didn't sound good. The brass jag did come in contact with the rifling and when I got the patch out it had a bunch of holes in it.

I then ran a wet patch through and it had one piece of brass on it that I could see. I looked down the barrel and didn't see any burrs or anything like that so I ran a few patches through. They were nice and smooth and didn't seem to hang up on anything.

It was a really windy day and I was shooting from a bipod. Groups were as expected I guess but I'm wondering if I caused any damage. I'm thinking of making a drive out to have my gunsmith take a look with the bore scope.

Has anyone else done this before or heard of it happening to someone else? Did it ruin the barrel?

Unread 04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member
The answer if in the shooting IMHO. I normal do not use a jag, I simply wrap a patch around a brush and I use Nylon brushes.....
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot
Unread 04-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Silver Member
Yeah I suppose you're right. I will just have to wait and see. I did speak with my gunsmith about it and he seems to think I didn't do any damage. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I'll let you know how the groups look next week.