Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Tell me about wood stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Tell me about wood stocks

Natural wood moves, and it can change shape with changes in temp and humidity.

Laminates are much more rigid and less prone to deform with changes in temp and humidity.

Personally I really like the laminates. If you do a good pillar bedding and float job on them and most importantly seal them very well after you finish the bedding and floating you will not see much if any problems with them at all. When I say seal it, I mean use something like minwax after you have oiled them heavily with something like Formby's tung oil.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: Tell me about wood stocks

In my opinion it's all about personal preference and taste! If somebody likes stocks made of classic walnut tree (I do) there is nothing to complain about. Right treated matured wooden stocks that are perfectly bedded, doesn't matter with epoxy or (in addition) with pillars, give platforms for good shooters. Of course, if someone doesnít like to give continuously maintenance to his gun and stock a wooden one is obsolete. Too much humidity or dryness over a long time kills every wooden stock, thatís for sure. Hunting under harsh conditions on the other side will demand composite stocks.