Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

TC Encore and long range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Silver Member
Re: TC Encore and long range?

Smith and Wesson have brought the quality of the T/C products up. I haven't purchased a none custum barrel for years now. A good trigger job with a none-binding piller bedded forend and both calibers should be capable of very fine accuracy for any hunting need.
Kim Monthony is shooting a break open in benchrest competition and is doing very well. Check out Chasemountaincustom.

Unread 08-25-2013, 12:05 PM

My experience has been that the T/C barrels are not MOA barrels or even close however; if you order a Bergera barrel for your gun it will be a MOA gun. Bergera consulted Shilen to learn his famous barrel process and it paid huge dividends for them because the barrels are superb. I personally had a factory Pro Hunter 300 WM barrel that was horrible and replaced it with a Bergera 300WM barrel and got 1 MOA accuracy out of it. Read Mike Bellm's website he has a wealth of knowledge on there and that is what gave me the cofidence to keep my Pro Hunter versus selling it. I am in the process of selling my T/C .50 ML barrel to buy a Bergera as well.

Another Tip - Do a trigger changes that gun so much that I would not own one without having the trigger worked.
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Bronze Member

I have found that If you "float" the forends by placing a small rubber oring on the screw between the forend and the barrel it helps keep the barrels from moving POI between swapping out barrels. I have an extremely accurate 22-250 barrel that will do .75" with remington bulk 45gr HP ammo. All of my barrels with do 1.25" groups or better. I have sent a few down the road that wouldn't shoot but most can be fixed up nicely
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Gold Member

My friends TC Prohunter in 300 win mag would not shoot less than 1" with his best shooting hand loads. He traded it at a terrible price lost back to the gunshop for a 7mm mag and it does better but not great. Around 7/8 - 1" with his best loads. He's pretty disappointed. 90% of the shots here are less than 200 yards so he still hunts with it but we love shooting long range and he's not pleased in that aspect at all. The TC's are what I call "TV" guns. Look great on there but not so great on paper. Especially for the $$ they cost.

He got quite angry one day when we were shooting milk jugs at 482 yards, him with his Prohunter and my $99 Mosin Nagant with hand loads was making his TC look pathetic. Took him from 4-6 shots to hit one and mine was money on every shot.
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

I have hunted with T/Cs since they came out. I too was very dis-satisfied with not achieving my desired accuracy.

Anything used to cushion or float the barrel away from the forend was at best a temporary fix. I live in Alaska so when freeze up hits the POI changes. When it thaws and starts raining it changes again.

I have only this one photo left but one can get the idea by looking at the machined perch in the barrel channels. This black material is extremely hard so no aluminum piller is required.
Tony Gettel at tony' machines these perches in his T/C wood stocks and then puts an aluminum piller in as a regular process.

I made the stocks pictured and to date I do not own a hunting handgun that shoots over 1 inch at 300 yards. Year to year I take my short barrel 338 out every 3 months and fire one shot at a target. This summer just before the August first deer season I shot that one shot and had to adjust windage two clicks. First time in a number of years.