Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Target Steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Target Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones View Post
i dont want to hijack the thread. but i have a question for those of you who hang their steel. i made a stand and got some old fire hose cut a hole in it and put a bolt though it and the steel. well i went out shooting the other day and hit close to the bolt and the steel flew off. so my question is how are you guys hanging/attaching your steel plates?
I'd weld on some washers and use a chain or chains....

Conjures up thoughts of my marksmanship... I invaribly break the wires that hold the targets for indoor match pistol. We use a wire across the top and bottom and clothespins to hold targets and warming up, I seem to 'snip' them regularly.....

....The 'splash' you are looking for would be enhanced by using drawing quality (10X or better steel) because the steel can elongate when the projectile hits it. That will fracture off the paint layer quite nicely.....
Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones View Post
i dont want to hijack the thread. but i have a question for those of you who hang their steel. i made a stand and got some old fire hose cut a hole in it and put a bolt though it and the steel. well i went out shooting the other day and hit close to the bolt and the steel flew off. so my question is how are you guys hanging/attaching your steel plates?
Most e economical way I've found is steel fence posts. They're cheap, like $4-5 bucks a piece, & re useable, plus you can put them anywhere you can pound em into the ground. I have chains on my targets, & use bailing wire (tie wire) to adjust the links so the steel hangs evenly.
I've even used a tree branch & mule tape to hang steel from a tree limb. I would NOT recomends this method. When the bullets impact the steel they basically blow up. (even my Accubonds). You can guess where the fragments ended up when you go to untie the mule tape, & your hands look like you swatted a porcupine.
Chains are about the only good way I've found.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...94992280-1.jpg

I just built this last weekend out of some conduit. The bottom pieces highlighted with yellow slide out of the stand so it can fold up. It is very stable. We used them this weekend at 300 and 400 yds and they held up great. The steel on the other hand didnt do very well it was plain steel. I ordered some ar500 to put on them and will build a few more.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Did I mention 2 pieces is squatting my Jeep suspension? Who needs sand bags Ha!
Maybe you could try shooting the Jeep suspension?

Practically indestructible.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 PM

I'll have to try the chains. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpsman View Post
YOUR AR400 ain't like MY AR400!!

Me thinks you've taken a 'bend-over'!!
Fortunately I haven't bought anything yet. This was a scrap piece. Every thing cut from a sheet gets marked if it is AR or T1 so we know what it is. It is entirely possible it could have been mismarked. I can check it against a full sheet that has the grade marked on it. It would be nice if it proved to be a lower grade, then maybe 400 would work just fine. Cliff