Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Target Steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Target Steel

I have some 3/8 AR500 that I shot at 200yds with my 300winmag and 210 bergers and not even a dent. Just curious, was the OP's steel hanging where it could swing or was it fixed? That usually makes a big difference.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

At 300yd the target was hanging.
At longer ranges it was propped up on the ground.
I would like to make some full size steel animal targets, but I want them light enough to handle. May have to use a number of smaller pieces connected together at the site.
Cliff
Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffM View Post
At 300yd the target was hanging.
At longer ranges it was propped up on the ground.
I would like to make some full size steel animal targets, but I want them light enough to handle. May have to use a number of smaller pieces connected together at the site.
Cliff
Cool idea, but some friendly advise....
Make sure the pieces fit comfortably on a pack frame. Holy cow did I ever find out the HARD WAY!! That was such a brutal pack accross that canyon, that I almost just left the dang things there.
Talk about an akward @$$%#%%$ to tie on, & pack that far. Bad idea on my part. I SHOULD have left em' there.
I'm not shy about packin weight on akward ground over long distance. Heck I even halved an Elk for 2 1/2 miles, but those 3/4" steel plates were Horrible! (ya, I'm full of great ideas...haha)

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

20-20 hindsite.
We found a mining district that has alot of roads leading to mines and prospects that we can use to drive to set up the targets. It looks like a mile + is possible.
I like the cardboard antelope bng has, but I don't know what I've wounded or killed till I drive down to see. Steel would give an immediate feedback every time I pulled the trigger.
Cliff
Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting. I work part time for a steel supplier/distributor/service center so steel plate of any dimension and thickness (up to 0.500) is merely a trip to the roll-off.....

Couple of things. Not sure what AT500 designates. There are a multitude of grades of hot rolled plate but industry standards base HRP (hot rolled pickled) and CR (Cold Rolled) in levels of drawing quality (**X) and base Brinnell and Olsen hardness,

If it was me, I'd be using material with a 10X or better drawing quality, 55 Brinnell or lower. The drawing quality is a measure of how far the material will elongate (or dent if you will without piercing), with 10X being the minimum. Most drwaing quality material in high strength comes as AKDQ (Aluminum Killed Drawing Quality) which really isn't important to your use, but the draw quality (......X number is.

95% of sheet (plate steel) is designated high strength today. Only structural shapes are designated differently.

See, I just made everything muddier.....
Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Gold Member

YOUR AR400 ain't like MY AR400!!

Me thinks you've taken a 'bend-over'!!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 PM

i dont want to hijack the thread. but i have a question for those of you who hang their steel. i made a stand and got some old fire hose cut a hole in it and put a bolt though it and the steel. well i went out shooting the other day and hit close to the bolt and the steel flew off. so my question is how are you guys hanging/attaching your steel plates?