Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Tape the end of your barrel !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Tape the end of your barrel !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I have taped on many a hunting trip but I was sitting here thinking, why doesn't it affect POI? A small flaw in your crown will jack things all up but tape won't, I seriously can't remember if it was blown of or I had to remove the tape with a hole in it, if it blew of I could understand but if your bullet is going through that would make me wonder why.
I shoot with a muzzle break and after I pull the trigger there is nothing left at all, every little piece of the tape is gone...

Without a muzzle break all the tape at the end of the barrel is gone it leavs nothing on the crown..
Like it was said earlier the compressed air in front of the bullet blows the tape out of the path of the bullet before it even gets to where the tape is
Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting thread. I keep on learning with you guys.
I have had to clean my rifle barrel a couple of times during the hunt, because of dirt or twigs getting into it. I would now use electrical tape or small water ballons to prevent that.
Thanks for the prior posts.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

They make finger condoms that works really well.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:44 AM
Silver Member

I have used baby bottle nipples and just shoot through them and on smaller calibers they are still good for 2 or 3 shots
Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I have taped on many a hunting trip but I was sitting here thinking, why doesn't it affect POI? A small flaw in your crown will jack things all up but tape won't, I seriously can't remember if it was blown of or I had to remove the tape with a hole in it, if it blew of I could understand but if your bullet is going through that would make me wonder why.

Using the fingers from a latex glove almost always has a hole in it!

The air in front of the bullet makes the hole, not the bullet. Whether it blows off depends on the grip to the barrel. The column of air is moving about as fast as the bullet....but it would be nice to see a high speed video

edge.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
The air in front of the bullet makes the hole, not the bullet. Whether it blows off depends on the grip to the barrel. The column of air is moving about as fast as the bullet....but it would be nice to see a high speed video

edge.

High speed video would be nice, I think I have had to peel the tape of to re-apply after a shot, even if the air column ahead of the bullet makes the hole doesn't that kinda make gasses around the exiting bullet unstable. No argument that it has no effect just kinda trying to get a handle on why.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

Everyone is right on the money with this one. But if you want ther very best................Ultimate Bore Protection