Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Tape the end of your barrel !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Bronze Member

Tape the end of your barrel !

Watching a hunting program and noticed the guy
had tape on the end of barrel to prevent dirt, rain
etc. Wouldn't that effect the accuracy or presure somewhat? Does anyone do this?

Makes no sence to me.......
Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tape the end of your barrel !

Lots of hunters do that. Unless you wrap the whole roll of tape around your muzzle it won't have any impact.

But it will keep dirt, rain, and twigs from getting into your barrel or chamber.

I was black bear hunting with my buddy once and when he went to chamber a cartridge he couldn't close the bolt. We'd been busting through some alders. A small piece of twig had dropped down the muzzle and was lodged in the chamber.

I always tape. When I chamber my rounds, the bolt always closes.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Silver Member

I use small balloons.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padd54 View Post
I use small balloons.
+1

I like them for black powder also (Even if it's not raining it helps keep the powder dry
in hi humidity. And if you cant find cheep balloons a condom will work but be prepaired
for some harassing by other camp mates.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

A small water baloon would be a good idea. Think alot of folks with muzzle brakes do that. I've just used one strip of electrical tape with one end folded over on the left side so that I can reach up with my left hand and pull it off quickly if I'm concerned about precision and the impact the electrical tape may or may not have for a long range shot--1/2 second and the tape is off.

Have heard of way too many stories of lost chances on game, etc. or dangerous situations due to debris making it into the barrel not to find some way to cover the muzzle. Shot an elk at 60yds last year and a muley at 100 this year with the tape on--both dead one shot. Elk from 2 seasons ago was a prone, dial the turret shot (for me at 450yds) and the tape came off for that one. Just my experience.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

I take the tape off if I have the luxury of time. No big deal.

If not, I blow it free, muzzle brake and all. I have yet to have anyone document that two wraps of 3M electrical tape affects their group size or POI at any range.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

During WW2 soldiers would use condoms over the end of barrel during a landing operiation and when it was wet and muddy