Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Tape on the end of barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Bronze Member

Tape on the end of barrel

I have seen guys tape the end of a barrel using electrical tape or duct tape so as to keep moisture out of the barrel while hunting. I believe they did a segment on Long Range Pursuit and demonstrated that it didn't change POI. My question is can you tape the end of a barrel that has a muzzle break. What happens if some of the port holes are covered. Does this pose a hazard or will it change POI.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tape on the end of barrel

I tape my barrel and Muzzle brake all the time and it has no effect on poi or recoil the tape blows off before anything else happens. Tape is used by me to keep dirt, snow, ETC out of barrel while climbing around or in case I trip and stick my barrel into ground.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

I think i will pass on all tape. It might not affect anything but it bothers me especially when a brake is involved. I will carry muzzle down in weather or muzzle down in my pack. If I screw up ang get debree in the muzzle I will clean it best I can and then run one passwith a bore snake from my pack to final clean and dry.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply's. It is a bit unnerving having something blocking the end of your barrel, however, I'm heading to AK on a hunt of a life time and I don't want that shot of a lifetime to be botched due to something in the barrel.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
Thanks for the reply's. It is a bit unnerving having something blocking the end of your barrel, however, I'm heading to AK on a hunt of a life time and I don't want that shot of a lifetime to be botched due to something in the barrel.

I fully understand your concerns. But like you the tape would be on my mind. So here is food for thought. In all your past hunting experience have you ever had a problem that tape would have helped? Or, Will this tape give you the confidence you need or be a distraction? For me I will carry on as I have in the past especially on important hunt like this. I don't like change.

Have a great hunt and pleae report with pics when you return.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Bronze Member

I don't think the tape will be a distraction. Maybe the first time shooting it like that. I have yet to get something in the end of my barrel while out hunting, but than again I have never been on a once in a lifetime hunt in a state where it rains and spits snow as much as it is dry. AK is a little different than hunting the lower 48. Turns out their is a lot of information on this topic on the web. It sounds like as many AK hunters tape the end of their barrels as those who do not. Kind of surprised me how many said they do it.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:59 PM

saw an episode of best of the west if irecall correctly they had a short neoprene muzzle cover on end of barrel