Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Talk me into it or talk me out of it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Talk me into it or talk me out of it

I have the chance to buy a 300RUM in Remington 700BDL. Not many rounds down it, great shape from a buddy who it is just too much gun for his needs. I hunt mostly mule deer with some elk mixed in. My 5 year goal for this gun is to turn it custom wit a long barrel and a brake. Would you buy a large cal like this in a sporter barrel? I am interested in out to 1200yds. I have a 7RM sendero right now so no hurry to get this 300RUM finished, but would like to get a little shootin out of it before full custom. Any advice input or opinion would be appreciated, one way or the other. Thanks
Old 12-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Talk me into it or talk me out of it

Pass. A heavy barreled version might hold some appeal, but only if I'd shot it some and knew first hand it performed well enough. Presumably your 7mm has got you covered for now.

My experience having done this more than once, and I still have to resist the temptation.
Is to forego this route by the time you've modified all of it you've saved no money, and really haven't got quite where you want to be.

Basically, you're buying a project the center of which is the 700 action. Buy a custom action the way you want it, put it in the safe, next year pick up a barrel, or stock, or a scope. Given the wait times on some of the quality items, and lead times of the better smiths it could easily take five years.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

^^ i agree and disagree somewhat. I bought a Rem action STW and had a semi custom built because that was all i could afford at the time. If you want a semi custom build then do it man, but like he said above me if you can shell out the coin for a full on custom build with a custom action such as surgeon (my favorite) id wait.

Having said that id talk to your gunsmith/gunmaker and talk to him and see what he says about this and that person may give you the best answer.

I absolutely love my semi custom 7mmSTW that Robert Gradous built me. It was around $2000 with parts, labor, paint, install.

Talk to your person about your decision.

Let us know what you decide though!!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

My answer came with 3 conditions. 1) He has a rifle meeting his current needs, 2) He has five years to prepare for the next step, 3) The rifle has been verified by first hand shooting to meet his needs and expectations.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
I have the chance to buy a 300RUM in Remington 700BDL. Not many rounds down it, great shape from a buddy who it is just too much gun for his needs. I hunt mostly mule deer with some elk mixed in. My 5 year goal for this gun is to turn it custom wit a long barrel and a brake. Would you buy a large cal like this in a sporter barrel? I am interested in out to 1200yds. I have a 7RM sendero right now so no hurry to get this 300RUM finished, but would like to get a little shootin out of it before full custom. Any advice input or opinion would be appreciated, one way or the other. Thanks
I would it's not for much volume shooting might be great shooting when letting the 7Mag cool down.

I just as soon build on something I already have and my latest 270 Wby used
Rem action,Mike Rock barrel,D.Holland stock with his pillar system.

You really have to sit and decide what you want if a custom action is wanted vs using factory then that's the way to go. In a 5yr wait lot could change in bullets/barrels that be something really want to keep current on. As to picking gunsmith now who knows if he'll be in business.

Well good luck
Old 12-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Silver Member

Mr. Harper is right. If your heart is truly into a custom in 5 years, then I would wait. The problem I have is that I say ? years and then the kids need clothes, the car breaks down, the house needs repairs. Before you know it, your gun nest egg is gone. If your on the fence at all about this, buy it. You can always build off the action if you want. Also, you can shoot it and get the feel of a larger bore rifle. You can play with loads/ammunition for when the full custom arrives and at the very least kill some targets at longer ranges. Lastly, it will not hurt you to own it, shoot it and then use it to help fund your full custom. By doing it this way, you gain helpful knowledge about the caliber and what you want or don't want on your custom gun. Plus, it s ultra mag!! Everyone should own one....or 2.....or 3.....4??

My 2 cents.....
Old 12-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublezranch View Post
Mr. Harper is right. If your heart is truly into a custom in 5 years, then I would wait. The problem I have is that I say ? years and then the kids need clothes, the car breaks down, the house needs repairs. Before you know it, your gun nest egg is gone. If your on the fence at all about this, buy it. You can always build off the action if you want. Also, you can shoot it and get the feel of a larger bore rifle. You can play with loads/ammunition for when the full custom arrives and at the very least kill some targets at longer ranges. Lastly, it will not hurt you to own it, shoot it and then use it to help fund your full custom. By doing it this way, you gain helpful knowledge about the caliber and what you want or don't want on your custom gun. Plus, it s ultra mag!! Everyone should own one....or 2.....or 3.....4??

My 2 cents.....
Yeah, I know what you are saying about the wife/kid stuff. I guess the reason why I probably wanted it was for the "ultra mag" maybe. In all actuality, there isn't a darn thing I would ever hunt that I couldn't kill at a long ways away with my 7RM. Just a dandy of a gun to shoot. Probably be best to just buy a 300 RUM in a Sendero and go from there if I thought I really wanted to have one. Who knows. Everybody here makes very good points though. Keep the input coming.