Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Which Tactical Stock for Mod 70 #4 contour Brux bbl
Poll Options
Which Tactical Stock for Mod 70 #4 contour Brux bbl

Tactical stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tactical stock

I've had 2 McMillans. One from nearly 30 years ago and another this year. Good stocks, but if you're in a hurry I'd look at the others. Regardless of what they say, it will take 6 months.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

I voted H-S. That is the only stock I've shot of your three choices. I find it quite comfortable and is built with plenty of barrel float. Built with an aluminum bedding block. No bedding needed

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Bronze Member

McMillan A5 all the way. Fit and finish is perfect. Manners could not inlet a stock correctly if their lives depended on it. I have ordered 5 Manners stocks for customers and not one was inletted corectly. McMillan from here on out.

Regards,
Paul

Len Backus
Publisher
LRH
Old 12-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into your thinking.

There is a tacticool factor associated with the tactical stocks that draws a lot of people to them. They are great for what they are designed to be too.

However, unless you are planning solely to shoot them from a bench or prone you will find them a PITA in the field.

The McMillan A-3 hunter is a great compromise vs going "full tactical" as is the precision stock works (made for them by McMillan and I'd encourage you to look at both unless like I said you are strictly planning to shoot from the prone or bench.

I have five HS precisions I like very well too. The Manners I have tried I had a similar feeling of as the above poster, felt like I was snuggling up to a piece of railroad iron or a 4x4.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Wild Rose . That's what I'll be getting .
Old 12-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

I have a A3-5 Adj stock it's somewhat of a compromise from the full tactical. It has a slimmer fore end.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Bronze Member

Gotta love McMillans. The Gamescout is also a good choice for more of a hunting rifle. It has the vertical grip but slimmer forend. I was going to go with one but decided on a heavier barrel and had to step up to an A3 with a wider front.

-Thomas Jefferson