Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

tactical scope on a hunting rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

tactical scope on a hunting rifle.

In the market for a new scope for my big game rifle. 300. wsm will be used on moose, elk, deer, bear and caribou and need to put a good scope on it. My dads best friend thinks i should just stick with Leupold VX-3 or a standard Zeiss Conquest 3-9. Where i felt that getting a tactical scope would be a nicer way to go. i was thinking of going with Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 with matching moa reticle and nobs. I wanted to get into long range shooting and hunting. This rifle is so far promising with holding moa and sub moa out too 300 yards. In the past 2 season i have had shooting opportunities out too 550 yards. I think a good beginner tactical scope like the Viper PST would help me out at those ranges. I know i would need a large amount of practice before shooting out too 550 yards. But i think the scope would help. I have had great experiences with vortex and wouldn't mind sticking with them.

do you think it is smarter to stick with a Leupold or Zeiss for a hunting scope or going the extra mile to get a tactical scope and prepare myself for anything. I know that the caliber im using is perfect for deer out too about 700 yards and is capable of harvesting moose and elk out too 500-600 yards with a proper bullet and placement.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Bronze Member

Re: tactical scope on a hunting rifle.

If you are planning on getting in to long range stuff then you should get the tactical scope now. Why buy another scope in a year when the long range bug bites you. Plus if you get it now you will be able to shoot and practice with the set up that you will be hunting with.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

i was really hoping to get into long range hunting and shooting. So i think you are right. Get the tactical scope and practice with what i have. Work up some good loads and hope to keep moa or sub moa out too 500 yards. Practice practice practice and maybe next year i can get my self a real long range rig.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Go with the tactical scope now.
You have a long range capable rig. That is a great cartridge capable of some pretty good long range performance. I would actual go up a step in magnification. 6-24.
Practice a lot with long range rocks. 900-1000 yards and when you start to get good a 500 yard shot is almost easy.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Bronze Member

Save as much money as you can and buy the best you can get. You can hang on to the glass long after you fancy for that rifle wains.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

you can leave all the knobs and adjustments alone on a tactical scope and use it like a normal scope but a normal scope will never become a tactical scope ?

buy one scope and learn to use it well.......
Old 02-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
Go with the tactical scope now.
You have a long range capable rig. That is a great cartridge capable of some pretty good long range performance. I would actual go up a step in magnification. 6-24.
Practice a lot with long range rocks. 900-1000 yards and when you start to get good a 500 yard shot is almost easy.
The power of the scope is ultimately up to you, but I would not recommend the high power unless it is going to be a designated long range rig or a varmint rig. With good quality glass 10X is plenty for big game and steel targets out to 1000yrds. Having the lower bottom end will be much better for target acquisition at shorter range.

Go for the good scope now.

Steve