Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Tactical bolt knobs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Bronze Member

Tactical bolt knobs?

What are your guys thoughts on tactical bolt knobs? I'm thinking of putting on my 270, are they worth it? I've also heard that they make the bolt some-what easier to lift. Any info would be great.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Tactical bolt knobs?

Like most things tactical, I think they'er a gimick.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

I like the one I have, but I went with a Karl Kampfield hunter knob. Its smaller than the badger knob that is so widely used.
Here is a look at his bolt knobs. boltknob I will tell you, you will be hard pressed to send your stuff to a better guy! His turn around time was great, his work is even better! Highly recommended.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Gold Member

I had Shawn Carlock put one of his on my .223 LTR. I'll be honest, I only did it at first because I liked how they looked but after shooting my little LTR that has one, quite a bit, when I shoot one of my other guns that doesn't have one, It feels kinda weird. It's like I'm looking or grabbing for the bolt handle. I never would have believed that would happen before I had it installed.

Something you definitely want to remember if you have one installed, if you don't already do this, make sure you pull the bolt out before you put it away in your safe. I really like the size and feel of the one Shawn makes because it's not that big but it does stick out a little further than the stock bolt knob and first thing off I put a nice little scratch in one of my other rifles when I was putting it away in my safe.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrschmitt View Post
Like most things tactical, I think they'er a gimick.
Just more things sticking out to hang on something lol..
Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Silver Member

The fact hat you can customize your bolt handle to your needs/likes is a plus. I have my eye on a thick but shorter than a Badger one because the factory Howa doesn't give much purchase and slows me down on reload compared to a tactical big bolt knob..I don't like themsticking out too much but the stock one sucks for my XL hands.
Military likes a "tactical" knob so there's gotta be a good reason for them to put one on a stick...

My advice is to find someone with one style or more and try BEFORE buying so you can make an edjucated decision if its worth it to you or not.

Matt
Old 09-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

The fact hat you can customize your bolt handle to your needs/likes is a plus. I have my eye on a thick but shorter than a Badger one because the factory Howa doesn't give much purchase and slows me down on reload compared to a tactical big bolt knob..I don't like themsticking out too much but the stock one sucks for my XL hands.
Military likes a "tactical" knob so there's gotta be a good reason for them to put one on a stick...

My advice is to find someone with one style or more and try BEFORE buying so you can make an edjucated decision if its worth it to you or not.

Matt