Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Switch barrel build update...new questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Bronze Member

Switch barrel build update...new questions

I posted a while ago about building a switch barrel Remington. Well with all of the advice I decided to go the two rifle route. So I ordered a Rem. XCR II in 338 RUM. Between that and my 7 mm Rem Mag I should be able to cover anything in the western US.

So now I have a few questions on first steps to improve both guns and getting into reloading.

As a starter I was planning on getting each action blueprinted at a cost $225 each. Is this the best place to start on improving rifles performance?

Second, I plan on hand loading. Should I work up some loads for each rifle and see how they perform before I spend money on gunsmithing services? What is a great starter reloader? Also, any recommended literature would be helpful.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: Switch barrel build update...new questions

If you want to blueprint a switch-barrel rifle, you should also ask your gunsmith to true-up the flatness of the recoil lug and pin it to the action, as part of the $225 he is charging you for the blueprinting job. While you are at it, ask him to also hollow-out the back end of the firing pin to remove some weight and to replace the factory spring with a Tubb extra power spring. This will cut-down on the lock time and also contribute to improved precision.

Also, you want to punch a timing mark on the face of the recoil lug opposite the receiver, about 1/4 inch from the barrel shank hole, to use as an alignment mark for torquing your barrel, which does not have to go on as tight as the factory installs them. Once you get the barrels tight just past snug, punch a mark on the barrel, opposite the mark on the recoil lug, so you will always have them aligned and at a consistent torque.

As far as handloads go, you will always achieve better precision with any load you develop out of a blueprinted rifle than a 'factory standard' one.

Best of luck,

Last edited by Joaquin B; 03-12-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

I would at least shoot the rifle first before doing anything. It may be plenty accurate for your needs.

If/when you're ready to blueprint, you may also want to get a top notch aftermareket barrel at the same time. The whole point is to get bore, chamber, reciever, bolt, etc... all concentric and trued up. Having one end perfect and the other caddywampus just doesn't make sense to me.

-- richard
Old 03-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

If you plan on hand loading, then look into a Redding press and dies.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Bronze Member

Joaguin...thanks for the reply. What do you think of the PT&G firing pin assembly with a fluted pin and aluminum bolt shroud? I'm also looking at their aluminum bottom metal.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

If you are going to reload then take the 450 you would spend on blueprinting and invest in good reloading supplies. You dont have to buy the most expensive equipment to do a good job. I would get a top of the line single stage press. For dies I have used rcbs, lee, and redding and i have to say that lee do as good a job or better than the other for a lot less cost. I would be willing to bet with a good handload you will get your rifle to shoot well enough to take care of any shooting needs you have. After reloading if you cant get the gun to shoot then you can rebarrel and blueprint at that time. I would suggest you get a chronygraph when you start reloading they are very useful when working up a load because the book listed velocities are usually off in my experience.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Bronze Member

Dean...that sounds like very good advice. Thanks.