Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sun and Mirage (need explanation/help)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sun and Mirage (need explanation/help)

Ok--cleaned out my in box again and anyone who did not get the attachments emailed to them send me another PM as I just sent some more.

Dave
Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 PM
PUBLISHER

Dave, if you email me I will upload it to this thread if you like.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Mirage is an amazing thing to me. I love to sit a rifle in my rest with the cross hairs aimed at the bullseye early in the morning. When you come back 2 hours later and the mirage has picked up, the crosshairs are off target. Its also cool when the mirage is really kicking and you have little gust of wind that clear the air to sit there and watch the crosshairs move up and down or left and right even if the gun is sitting perfectly still.

I have seen the mirage so bad on my friends range that the cross hairs would jump from below the mothball to over the top of it 30 or 40 times in a minute, but the mirage would never boil and the wind flags were hardly moving at all. I couldnt do anything with those conditions. My buddy shot back to back ones in it. When your a newbie and see someone do something like that it makes you realize how much you have to learn.

AJ at 200 yards mirage can definately move the POI more than 1/2 MOA. Mirage can also tell you more about what the wind is doing at your target than most would imagine.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Eddybo,

Thanks

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives