Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sun and Mirage (need explanation/help)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Sun and Mirage (need explanation/help)

Although I've shot a bunch and done action type competitions, I've never done any rifle competition. I've noticed a few times (yesterday for example), that Mirage was having an impact with my groups.

While the wind was blowing (10-12mph swirling), I was shooting 1/2moa and better groups with my 338am yesterday, all horizontal. Then when the wind stopped, but the sun was bright and shining right on the target, my groups changed to 1/2moa all vertical.

Do you all think this was Mirage? I was shooting at 200yds and it was near 90 degrees and bright sun. I could see the shimmering of the target at times, and other times I couldn't.

Anyone know of a good reference/reading material for me on this subject?

Thanks,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sun and Mirage (need explanation/help)

Ahhh yes --- the wind and mirage can be your friend! Send me a PM and I will email you a document that will help you master this little problem!

Dave
Old 09-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

So I guess at 200yds Mirage can move the group 1/2 MOA? or More?

I sent a PM, thanks.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

id like to read that also please......ajones1954@fairpoint.net
Old 09-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

You have mail--I have sent this to everyone that sent me a PM--if you did not get it let me know.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Ok---have sent emails to everyone except one. Asked for a email addy from him but sorry for the late response from Friday---was out shooting getting ready for my elk hunting trip on friday!! 4 more days!!!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

AJ,

It's great that you are shooting a rifle well enough to see this and to catch on so quickly. What Boss Hoss will send you will serve you well.

Back in my benchrest days I set out to learn the magnitude of the effects of mirage. I was shooting a 40X 222 Light Gun w/a 26X Leupold (or was it a 24X) either way it would shoot along with your AM out to 200;).

I knew the range very well. Bare dirt and a few weeds between the benches and target. Mirage was brutal, normally. Newbies there would shoot around 3/4 MOA until they caught on.

I set up @ 100 yds well before sunrise. As soon as the 100yd target was visible I fired a sighter to verify zero. Then fired fired for score, so to speak.

I shot one shot every 30 Minutes until 10 O'clock. Compensating for the wind with each shot. I recall wishing that I could do such a good job with the wind during a competition.

Result: a real nicely space group of shots nearly perfectly vertical for a length of 2 inches.

Set your scope on its highest power and get it solid on the bags and centered on a small dot at your distance. Touch nothing and watch that dot do the dance. Then be grateful for a rifle that shoots so well even without knowing about mirage. Then you'll start seeing some "good" groups.;)