Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Best scope for 1k?
Burris XTR 4x16 - 50 6 9.84%
Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical 2.5x16-42 15 24.59%
Nikon Monarch X 4x16 - 50 14 22.95%
Other (please explain) 26 42.62%
Voters: 61. This poll is closed

Sub $1000 scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Sub $1000 scope?

I try to stay away from second focal plane scopes.

My (unofficial) Vote for sub $1000 scope is:

-Vortex Viper FFP(4-16x & 6-24x)($900-$1000)

Second Vote is:

-Horus Vision raptor model (4-16x) ($850)

Haven't got the Viper yet but the warranty is just unbeatable. Horus warranty is short and I got its Raptor model. Its been repeatable, taken abuse, hasn't let me down during snow/rain storms and nice for quick second shots. But again the Viper FFP is really attractive cause the reticle is simple and has an illuminator that is nice for dark terrain.

Both of them are the only front focal plane scopes with adjustable elevation in that price range.

Last edited by theodore; 02-21-2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: left words out
Old 02-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

I was assuming that all of the scopes in this price range have first focal plane reticles. Is that wrong?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:31 PM

I'd go either Vortex Viper PST or Sightron SIII. Haven't owned a Vortex yet as they are still pretty new (especially their new scopes, will probably hold off on one of those until they have proven themselves...regardless of warranty). Will probably own one some day though as they have seemed to make their mark as a great buy for the money.

Have had two Sightron SIIIs, an 8-32 and 6-24, and both have tracked perfectly and have had great glass for the money.

I also have got a USO ST-10, which can come in at less than $1K depending on options.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
I was assuming that all of the scopes in this price range have first focal plane reticles. Is that wrong?

The Vortex PST is an FFP and the Sightron SIII I believe has an FFP option for under $1000. I think the Nikon X is an FFP also. The Phantom Menace was mentioned on another thread. This would be a great optic if you can find them. They go like hot cakes. I would stay away from the 6500 Elite unless you can find an older one. I read an article on 6mmBR.com that Bushnell's quality control has drop drastically. I think there was something about a take over or something.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
I am looking at the Monarch "X" line, I believe it used to be called the tactical line, but they've changed it.

The Vortex PST that someone mentioned above does look very nice. My concern with that is that it is so new it does not seem like many have used it. This will be the only scope I purchase for quite a while and I want something that is tried and true, not the newest thing on the market. I'm not particularly familiar with Vortex, have they been around long?
From everything that I have read, Vortex is really offering outstanding quality and price. The PST FFP scopes look like they will be great given the company's past products and their commitment to excellence both in terms of optics and customer service. If I were buying my cash would be on the PST FFP scopes in that price range. As soon as they are finally released, I might come up with a reason to buy one!
Nothing against any of the scopes that you mentioned, but for my money, the bigger companies seem to lag behind the cutting edge companies in their middle to lower end scopes. They realize that many people are going to buy their products based upon "comfort" with the brand name. Again not that these scopes are not good, but they are rarely as good as the specialty companies that are carving out niches and word of mouth endorsements.

Last edited by McKinneyMike; 02-21-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

The Nikon is leading the pack in my eyes.
The Vortex may be great, and they may have great customer service and the warranty looks great. But... they are a newer and definitely a smaller company, who knows if they will survive long enough to honor a warranty 10 years from now.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
The Nikon is leading the pack in my eyes.
The Vortex may be great, and they may have great customer service and the warranty looks great. But... they are a newer and definitely a smaller company, who knows if they will survive long enough to honor a warranty 10 years from now.
Given the impact that they have had on the shooting market over the past two years, I would say that they are on the fast track to stardom. I own a Nikon Monarch, Nikon digital cameras and lenses too. I am not against Nikon, just see the benefit of a great young company like Vortex that is doing everything right and reaping the rewards of their efforts If the PST is half the scope that their Viper is, it will be a very tough act for any company to over take in these price ranges. Good luck what ever you decide.
Look around these forums at what people are using. Look at the Sniper's Hide forums and other professional forums. Small niche companies dominate for a reason. They offer superior performance, operation and build quality for the dollars spent. Vortex is not a flash in the pan optics company. They are well ran, great market strategy and they are listening to their customer desires.

Last edited by McKinneyMike; 02-21-2010 at 09:00 PM.