Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Best scope for 1k?
Burris XTR 4x16 - 50 6 9.84%
Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical 2.5x16-42 15 24.59%
Nikon Monarch X 4x16 - 50 14 22.95%
Other (please explain) 26 42.62%
Voters: 61. This poll is closed

Sub $1000 scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

Sub $1000 scope?

On my list currently are:
Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical 2.5 x 16 - 42
Burris XTR 4 x 16 - 50
Nikon Monarch X 4 x 16 - 50

Please choose your choice and explain why, if you have another option please explain. Does Leopuld have a scope at this price point?

FYI, this will be going on a heavy barrel 25.06 for medium sized game, varmint, target, shooting steel...

Last edited by BlackSS; 02-21-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sub $1000 scope?

My vote goes to the Vortex PST/ Viper series, and the Sightron SIII. Both these scopes provide ample vertical adjustment. Both are well under $1000 and provide very good quality that is comparable to higher end scopes. The Burris XTR gets really fuzzy on the edge even at close range. The Monarch has 30MOA claimed by factory which is not enough for most rifle to really reach out. It would be a good scope depending on the caliber. If you shoot a laser or a .338 cannon then 30 MOA would be enough to about 1100yrds+. That is not counting the minutes you are going to use up sighting it in.

Other options for under $300 would be the Nikon Buckmaster Series and the Vortex Crossfire. Both have excellent lens quality for the price and the Crossfire offers 120MOA of adjustment. The Nikon Buckmaster set up properly can give you 50MOA (I own 2 of them and they work well).

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

Of course my favorite is my Nightforce but for under $1000 I'd pick the Zeiss Conquest with the Rapid Z reticle. I don't own any of the scopes you listed so I can't say but everyone that looks through one of my Zeiss always says something about how clear it is.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

The Nikon has 50 moa internal adjustment according to their web page. Is that inaccurate?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
The Nikon has 50 moa internal adjustment according to their web page. Is that inaccurate?

They may have changed it for the new year. The last time I looked there was only 30. We could be looking at two different Monarchs. If it does have 50 then that would be one of my picks also.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

I am looking at the Monarch "X" line, I believe it used to be called the tactical line, but they've changed it.

The Vortex PST that someone mentioned above does look very nice. My concern with that is that it is so new it does not seem like many have used it. This will be the only scope I purchase for quite a while and I want something that is tried and true, not the newest thing on the market. I'm not particularly familiar with Vortex, have they been around long?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
I am looking at the Monarch "X" line, I believe it used to be called the tactical line, but they've changed it.

The Vortex PST that someone mentioned above does look very nice. My concern with that is that it is so new it does not seem like many have used it. This will be the only scope I purchase for quite a while and I want something that is tried and true, not the newest thing on the market. I'm not particularly familiar with Vortex, have they been around long?

I can't tell you how long they have been around, but I know it has been at least 2+ years. A lot of guys have been buying them with No complaints that I know of. The PST is one of their newest models for 2010 and has been highly anticipated. My next long range scope will more than likely be the Vortex with the ballistic reticule or the target dot. You could only do better in my opinion with a top grade MK IV Leupold or a Night Force. If I'm not mistaken, Vortex offers a lifetime warranty. Scott Barrish of Liberty optics has said that their customer service is very good.

If you were looking at the X series then we were looking at two different models. Their tactical scopes are of better quality than the normal Monarch. If that is the model you are seeking, then definitely worth the coin. I will say that Nikon customer service is top notch. They were able to replace my one scope and get it back in time for me to go on a hunting trip.

Tank