Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

sub 1000$ Gun (Not Custom)

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 192
Re: sub 1000$ Gun (Not Custom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
I have no clue why people bash on Savage. The stock is junk yet my rifles have all shot lights out without any gunsmithing? Go figure.
I'm right there with you on this. I've got a 110FP in 30-06 and I shoot the same targets at 1,000 yards as the guys showing up with a AI costing 5 times the money. It blows my mind that people downplay Savage rifles because they cost less. The most accurate out of the box rifle on the market since the invention of the accu-trigger has been the heavy barreled savage rifle. If they cost twice as much they'd still be a bargain compared to any remington that I've ever seen.

The first thing most guys do when they buy any rifle of any make change out the stocks to something that suits them better. I've got a savage mark II FV-SR wearing a boyds tacticool, a 10FP-SR in 223 wearing a medalist, and the 110FP I mentioned above is in a duramaxx. Any of these rifles will outshoot or at worst be a close second accuracy wise to any comparable rifle from any other manufacturer.

I'll be happy to show up with my savages 30-06 and outshoot whatever other brand you're planning on buying. I'll even let you take my rifle for a test drive and fire as many rounds as you'd like.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 638
Re: sub 1000$ Gun (Not Custom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
I'm right there with you on this. I've got a 110FP in 30-06 and I shoot the same targets at 1,000 yards as the guys showing up with a AI costing 5 times the money. It blows my mind that people downplay Savage rifles because they cost less. The most accurate out of the box rifle on the market since the invention of the accu-trigger has been the heavy barreled savage rifle. If they cost twice as much they'd still be a bargain compared to any remington that I've ever seen.

The first thing most guys do when they buy any rifle of any make change out the stocks to something that suits them better. I've got a savage mark II FV-SR wearing a boyds tacticool, a 10FP-SR in 223 wearing a medalist, and the 110FP I mentioned above is in a duramaxx. Any of these rifles will outshoot or at worst be a close second accuracy wise to any comparable rifle from any other manufacturer.

I'll be happy to show up with my savages 30-06 and outshoot whatever other brand you're planning on buying. I'll even let you take my rifle for a test drive and fire as many rounds as you'd like.
I thought the newer ones with the accustocks have a hard to finding aftermarket stocks because their bolt patterns arent the same as the regular savage? Also, I was never bashing the Savage just from all my reading the tikka is a superior rifle...I was considering the savage and tikka but decided to raise my absolute budget to 1000 dollars for just the rifle so I wanted to see what other brands may or may not be better...such as an x-bolt stalker I saw for 800.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,296
Re: sub 1000$ Gun (Not Custom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
I'm right there with you on this. I've got a 110FP in 30-06 and I shoot the same targets at 1,000 yards as the guys showing up with a AI costing 5 times the money. It blows my mind that people downplay Savage rifles because they cost less. The most accurate out of the box rifle on the market since the invention of the accu-trigger has been the heavy barreled savage rifle. If they cost twice as much they'd still be a bargain compared to any remington that I've ever seen.

The first thing most guys do when they buy any rifle of any make change out the stocks to something that suits them better. I've got a savage mark II FV-SR wearing a boyds tacticool, a 10FP-SR in 223 wearing a medalist, and the 110FP I mentioned above is in a duramaxx. Any of these rifles will outshoot or at worst be a close second accuracy wise to any comparable rifle from any other manufacturer.

I'll be happy to show up with my savages 30-06 and outshoot whatever other brand you're planning on buying. I'll even let you take my rifle for a test drive and fire as many rounds as you'd like.
Please show me the AI's that you are referring to that cost 5x as much, if you are talking about caliber. If that's the case, calibers are a personal preference thing, and cannot really be measured by a cost to shoot basis, in my opinion. Also, handloading for any caliber puts them all about on the same level until you get into the comparing short-actions vs long actions vs magnums vs ultra magnums.

If you are referring to AI, as in Accuracy International rifles, then I will agree with your statement. You don't need a $6,000 rifle to shoot 1,000 yards.

Savage is not the most accurate out of the box rifle there is.....Please prove that statement. I'm not saying that anything else is better, I'm just curious what facts you have to support such a claim, other than your personal experiences, that none of us know.


Savage does not get bagged on because of what they cost. And if someone does bag on them for what they cost, that is simply immature.

They usually get bagged on because of people making comments like you did. The Accutrigger is not that great, I know alot of Savage shooters that remove them for aftermarkets. The Remington X-Mark Pro is also a POS, and should have never been allowed to leave the prototype stage.

I am not being brand-biased, I just want to see solid facts for the claims you are making to this man, who is asking questions.

Fact is that Remington Sendero and 5R MilSpec rifles have proven themselves for decades now. That's where my recommendations come from....Also from my personal many years of hands-on experience with each of those weapons (11 years for Senderos, and 4 years with the 5R MilSpecs)...I also don't lie about performance. I have shot plenty of Remingtons over the years that wouldn't group...But most of the ones I shot would right out of the box. And others might have needed a little tuning or TLC to make shoot good.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,296
Re: sub 1000$ Gun (Not Custom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
I thought the newer ones with the accustocks have a hard to finding aftermarket stocks because their bolt patterns arent the same as the regular savage? Also, I was never bashing the Savage just from all my reading the tikka is a superior rifle...I was considering the savage and tikka but decided to raise my absolute budget to 1000 dollars for just the rifle so I wanted to see what other brands may or may not be better...such as an x-bolt stalker I saw for 800.
Great rifle for a good price! You won't be disappointed. I love my A-Bolt II Composite Stalker 7mm RemMag. Very accurate factory rifles. Brownings are probably one of the most accurate factory-produced rifles on the market, and always have been.

Aftermarket parts selection kinda sucks...But they don't really need much, other than a good pic rail, good rings, and a good scope to be a tack-driver.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 192
Re: sub 1000$ Gun (Not Custom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
I thought the newer ones with the accustocks have a hard to finding aftermarket stocks because their bolt patterns arent the same as the regular savage? Also, I was never bashing the Savage just from all my reading the tikka is a superior rifle...I was considering the savage and tikka but decided to raise my absolute budget to 1000 dollars for just the rifle so I wanted to see what other brands may or may not be better...such as an x-bolt stalker I saw for 800.
I didn't take your comments as bashing savage by any means. There are plenty of guys online who do bash savage though and they do it based on their price and not their performance. I just wanted to be clear to you that savage rifles aren't of poor quality despite what you may have read elsewhere on the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,296
Re: sub 1000$ Gun (Not Custom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
I didn't take your comments as bashing savage by any means. There are plenty of guys online who do bash savage though and they do it based on their price and not their performance. I just wanted to be clear to you that savage rifles aren't of poor quality despite what you may have read elsewhere on the internet.
Now, that is a much better statement. And one I can respect. And I agree. They are not bad rifles, despite how much or how little the may cost. You can't always judge a rifle by its price tag. While I am a Remington 700 fan, and don't care for Savage, I will never downplay them. I have said I didn't like them, but never will I say they aren't good rifles, because that would be a false statement.

The only rifle brand I will talk crap about was the 1 Howa 1500 .223 I had years ago that the action had so much play I thought the bolt would pop out the back without hitting the bolt release. LOL Could have been a lemon, since the rifle was brand new, but it did deter me from owning another one. But from what I hear Howa has stepped their game up from all those years ago.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 638
Re: sub 1000$ Gun (Not Custom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Now, that is a much better statement. And one I can respect. And I agree. They are not bad rifles, despite how much or how little the may cost. You can't always judge a rifle by its price tag. While I am a Remington 700 fan, and don't care for Savage, I will never downplay them. I have said I didn't like them, but never will I say they aren't good rifles, because that would be a false statement.

The only rifle brand I will talk crap about was the 1 Howa 1500 .223 I had years ago that the action had so much play I thought the bolt would pop out the back without hitting the bolt release. LOL Could have been a lemon, since the rifle was brand new, but it did deter me from owning another one. But from what I hear Howa has stepped their game up from all those years ago.
heard remington's downfall can be their factory triggers...do any of the models come with decent factory triggers?
Maybe I am being to picky about synthetic stocks if they cause so much issues...I just have heard things like "watch out, if you grip the stock to hard it flexes and touches the barrle" I have seen posts like this on the 700SPS, the tikka, the savage...basically everything with a synthetic stock haha
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC