Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

sub 1000$ Gun (Not Custom)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Gold Member

sub 1000$ Gun (Not Custom)

All,
I appologize as I have made a couple threads already for specific guns I was looking at and I know this is yet another thread but instead of stating the guns I was looking at I would like your opinions on a sub 1000 dollar gun in 30-06 caliber. I will most likely never customize it and again 1000$ is the absolute MAX I want to pay so please dont state "well for just a bit more you can buy this". Not sure how much a trigger job would cost but if not much...that would be the extent of customizing the gun. Accuracy with factory loads is what I am after. Anything at or under 1 moa would be great. I was thinking synthetic and possibly stainless depending on costs, although many say synthetic can suck so I dont know. The reason for synthetic is it will be in the woods hunting and everytime I have scratched my current wood gun...it makes me mad haha. I am open to all suggestions. I have been to the shop and held x-bolts, remington 700s, savages, tikkas and ruger m77. all felt fine but I am not an expert on what it "should" feel like so I really dont know. I am at my wits end and really have no idea what to go after/buy. When you read so much on the internet you can find flaws in almost anything so I would like to leave it to you "experienced" guys to put me on a good path towards a rifle I hopefully wont regret. Thanks again for understanding all my posts/threads on this.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: sub 1000$ Gun (Not Custom)

First of all, you're on the right track with the 30-06. Sounds like you're looking for a "do all" rifle and the 30-06 certainly fits the bill. Factory loads range from 150gr soft points for deer, 168gr match ammo for precision long range, to 220gr soft points for anything that could endanger you.

I haven't read your other posts but there's a lot of questions remaining to be asked. For example, are you 100% sure you want a bolt action? The remington 750 woodsman might be a nice option, as well as a single shot encore. I've got a stainless encore in 30-06 that was the first rifle I took a deer with. I've also got a bolt action heavy barreled savage in 30-06 that I use for target shooting at the range out to 1000 yards.

How far are you capable of shooting now, and how far do you want to be capable of shooting? If you're talking in the 500 yards and less arena then I'd just buy the heaviest barreled savage that you can carry and put a fullfield II with ballistic reticle, or a vortex crossfire with ballistic reticle and be done with it.

How big of an animal are you looking to hunt? At what range will you hope to shoot at? How far are you going to be walking in with this rifle?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Bronze Member

ruger and savage both have some newer rifles that are pretty reasonable. im not sure on the model of savage but heres a link to the rugers

Ruger American RifleŽ Bolt-Action Rifle Models

*if you plan on spending $1000 just for the rifle itself and not the optics or any accessories you can do better than these but if that's all for your total package then youd still have around 500 left to play with.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILtoMT50 View Post
ruger and savage both have some newer rifles that are pretty reasonable. im not sure on the model of savage but heres a link to the rugers

Ruger American RifleŽ Bolt-Action Rifle Models

*if you plan on spending $1000 just for the rifle itself and not the optics or any accessories you can do better than these but if that's all for your total package then youd still have around 500 left to play with.
To clarify...I do mean 1000 dollars for the gun alone. I already have good optics. This will be used MAINLY for DEER but I may use it on ELK and some range/bench time. I feel confident shooting a deer out to say 400 yards...most shots will definitely be 300 or less. I was thinking about going with a cheaper gun like tikka or savage but decided would prefer a gun I would be proud of and may last years. I am looking for out of the box accuracy as I stated I dont want to have to customize it but I guess MAYBE customizing down the road COULD happen but I doubt it. The remington 700 mountain ss was something I was looking at but it is definitely at or slightly above my price point...

Last edited by Bigeclipse; 09-06-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

I have a remington 700 BDL in 3006 and love that rifle. I had thought about using the action etc for a custom build but this rifle was present from my father when I was kid. It was first real rifle and I can't bring myself to change it too much. I had the trigger worked on and the stock bedded. It shoots .35" 100 yard groups and at 300 1.25". Love the caliber and rifle.

I mentioned on your previous thread, hands down I would still look at a Savage.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
sub 1000$ Gun (Not Custom)-rifle.jpg  
Old 09-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
I have a remington 700 BDL in 3006 and love that rifle. I had thought about using the action etc for a custom build but this rifle was present from my father when I was kid. It was first real rifle and I can't bring myself to change it too much. I had the trigger worked on and the stock bedded. It shoots .35" 100 yard groups and at 300 1.25". Love the caliber and rifle.

I mentioned on your previous thread, hands down I would still look at a Savage.
I appreciate your input...only worry with the savage is I have heard from others the savage synthetic stocks are garbage and even the ones with the accustock are simply the crap plastic with crappy aluminum bedding. A lot of people have commented that the tikka t3 synthetic is better than the savage 111 accutrigger/accustock synthetic. So I figured maybe bumping my price from 600ish to the 1000ish mark might bring in some better rifles. The whole point of synthetic was NOT for weight savings but because I CANNOT stand it when I scratch my pretty wooden stocks haha.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Bronze Member

I love my BDL. The stock is actually in the process of curing from a bedding job right now. Prior to bedding I was getting groups a little under MOA at 100 yards. I hope that the bedding increases its accuracy.