Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Stuck cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 03:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: Stuck cases

One shot is the only lube I've ever used and gotten a stuck case. You have to be pretty careful how you use it. RCBS case slick has been great for me as was lee's paste. For the case slick I'll just throw a bunch of cases in a ziplock bag hit them with a couple sprays then tumble the bag a little.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

I'm a strong believer in Imperial Sizing Wax and Dry Neck Lube. But, since you've been using the spray lube successfully for some time now, that's not the only issue.

Are you necking up 300 RUM to 338?

Are you lubing inside the case neck?

Do you need to polish your expander?

Do you have the bushing dies?

Have you measured the expander and your brass neck thickness and your bushing to perform minimal work hardening?

You might want to consider a K&M expander mandrel and do the necking up in a separate step from sizing the case.

Hope this helps,
--richard
Old 03-25-2011, 07:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
I'm a strong believer in Imperial Sizing Wax and Dry Neck Lube. But, since you've been using the spray lube successfully for some time now, that's not the only issue.

Are you necking up 300 RUM to 338?

Are you lubing inside the case neck?

Do you need to polish your expander?

Do you have the bushing dies?

Have you measured the expander and your brass neck thickness and your bushing to perform minimal work hardening?

You might want to consider a K&M expander mandrel and do the necking up in a separate step from sizing the case.

Hope this helps,
--richard
They are the bushing dies and I am using a .364 bushing. The necks are already expanded when I am full length sizing because I do that in another step so there is not even an expander being used, just a cap with a pin. I have used 375 and 300 RUM brass. Another weird thing that I also noticed is that if I try to size them slower they stick worse. The way I found that seemed to stick the least was leaving the cases wet and sizing pretty quickly. I may try letting it dry a bit longer than I was originally as others suggested. The cases I had get stuck seemed pretty dry but maybe they weren't so I'll let them sit longer and see if they do as well as the wet cases. If this stuff doesn't work I guess I will go with the sizing wax and give it a try, like you said the lube hasn't been a problem before but maybe it is going to be this time. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 AM
Silver Member

I love the imperial sizing die wax. I rub a little on with my fingers and size. Never had one stick. Wipes off easy with paper towel when loaded. Matt