Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Stoney Point Target Knobs- Are they any good ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2007, 04:32 AM
Gold Member

Stoney Point Target Knobs- Are they any good ?

Hello,

I have a VX3 4.5-14 x 40 LR 30mm sope that I need to fit with target knobs. Will the Stoney Point turrets work well and is there a std leupold turret that fits all ? Which model fits my scope ? Any clues ?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Cheers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: Stoney Point Target Knobs- Are they any good ?

My fear with the Stony Point Knobs is that they're not waterproof. I always send my scopes back to Leupold, they'll put knobs on them for about $60 apiece + shipping.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Gold Member

I bought a set of Stoney Point dials for a Leupold scope and was disappointed in them. I have now sent 2 scopes back to Leupold to have the M1 dials added. Much better way to go.
The cost with shipping is $145.00 and will take about 2 weeks.

JD338
Old 06-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...true#Post137310

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...part=1&vc=1

Hope this helps. I've got a Vari-X 3 4.5 x 14 that the Stoney Point knobs worked fine on. Even if they're not waterproof (see last link to see what I did--OH...--and if you get them they come with these clear silicone like caps that I leave on when in the field that fit well (don't need to take them off to read marks or click) and they protect the whole turrent very well anyway), the scope still will be waterproof with the caps off anyway. Little learning curve, like with everything. Biggest issue I've found is that you need to make a mark on the scope to index to a mark on the ring that actually screws down onto the scope. It tends to unscrew a bit and might cause you to lose zero. Could use locktite or similar on the threads, but I didn't want to to that on my scope. Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

This pic might help a bit--

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php...&password=

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Gold Member

Thanks all for your thoughts !

I think I'll give them a go as they are a cheap start. If they work , great. If not they have not cost the earth, and I'll probably have the new nxs by then anyway.

Cheers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]