Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Stoney Point Knobs. No laughing please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

Stoney Point Knobs. No laughing please

Here's the deal. I have one antelope tag, potentially one more. Neither are buck tags. Therefore, I plan to stretch my rifles legs a bit. I am out of time and low on funds. Or the other way around. Anyway, would the Stoney Point knob (elevation only) adjustments work for me out to say, 800 yards? I want the Leupold BDC knob, but that won't happen this year. If anyone has used the Stoney's, I'd like to hear how they worked. Holdover at ranges past 500 isn't something I want to do. Thanks, mtmuley
Old 07-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

rather than using the knob, try a balistics program and dial up counting clicks. You can just add your data and test it out at the range. It is all free! (except for the cost of ammo for testing ;)) JBM - Calculations - Trajectory
Old 07-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

I have one mounted on the elevation turret of a vari-x III 6.5 x 20 leupold and it works great. for a more permanent sollution, I have sent a couple off to leupold to have the m1 turrets installed and I believe it was $60 to add the m1 elevation turret or $110 for both. A call to leupold could verify. anyway, the stoney point hasnt given me any trouble but it would only be as accurate as your scopes adjustment abilities.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

I agree with lamiglas. I have used the stoney point knobs and they worked ok for what they were. The VX-II that I used them on did not have click so you just had to watch where you were on the dial and make sure you zero them correctly after the shot. I sent my VX-III B&C out to have target knobs put on it and Leupold sent it back pretty quick. Depends when you are going hunting but I want to say it was less than 3 weeks to scope off and back on.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown