Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Stoney Point bipods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 03:42 PM

Stoney Point bipods

I bought a stoney point bipod about 2 months ago, the quick attach 10 to 13 inch model. installed hardware on rifle this weekend and went and did some shooting with it an 4 shots later it split in half right where the right leg joins together. Has anybody had this problem, called there customer service number and found out there owned by Bushnell but never through to talk to a real person. Just wondering if they will stand behind it being i dont have a receipt for it any more. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Stoney Point bipods

I sent three of them back to bushnell last year and they replaced them, no cost no questions. must have been a bad batch of rubber.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:24 PM

I had the exact same problem. Mine lasted about 7 shots, I threw them away and put a real bipod back on my rifle.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Gold Member

I got one the other day, haven't even installed it yet. I noticed while checking it out that the rubber was splitting inside the web between the legs. Called the C/S number (Bushnell) , explained the problem and they are sending me a replacement. All I wanted was the rubber piece, but they apparently dont offer that by itself. So, I'm getting a complete Assy. sent to me. We'll see how that one looks when I get it. Wonder if the Davidson's have any problems with theirs?

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 05-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

I have two that I bought a couple of years back. They have not seen heavy use, but have been used several times in the field and practice sessions. I have not had any problems and mine do not show any signs of splitting. As someone said, they must have had a bad batch or maybe they changed the formulation of the rubber.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Bronze Member

I have 4 of them and have had 2 split, the rubber is junk and néeds a new compound but I love the design and light weight sporter rifles shoot awesome off of these.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4XFore View Post
I noticed while checking it out that the rubber was splitting inside the web between the legs. Called the C/S number (Bushnell) , explained the problem and they are sending me a replacement. All I wanted was the rubber piece, but they apparently dont offer that by itself. Wonder if the Davidson's have any problems with theirs?
Been there done that. Couple of comments. They do supply just the "yoke" portion - their part # is 252152. I have some extra's and when one goes to hell send it back for replacement. The phone number I use to talk to someone with a heartbeat is 800-423-3537. When you talk to a rep get their name for future reference or followup as I have made that mistake before.

I have taken one that is just starting to "crack", "split" or whatever you want to call it and applied some shoegue to it and it just keeps on ticking. Now I shoegue the bottom side of the yoke when I get a new one and it seems to sure help. When shoegue cracks I just peel it off and reapply a new dab of shoegue.

I like the useability of the stoney point but they obviously have a weak point where you constantly fatigue the yoke where the legs split.

The fast majority of my hunting is either with a pack or scabbard on a horse and the flexibilty of the stoney point of on/off is well worth the pain of having to do a little maintenance.

I have one of the original I would hate to guess how many rounds have been sent using it - one year of prairie dog shooting up here is more than most people shoot in a couple years.

And - yes- the Davidson's have had the same experience according to a gal on the phone.

Nothing like the quality of something probable made in China.