Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Stocks for savage rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:47 PM

Stocks for savage rifle

Can anyone suggest a good replacement stock to use on my Savage 12FV. I shoot it off the bench in a custom built rest similar to the old Outters style rest.
I'm thinking about wood to replace the synthetic but I am really looking for some opinions from you more experienced shooters. Any advise ??
Old 07-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Stocks for savage rifle

I bought a laminated stock off of E-bay that was supposed to be a BVSS clone , well after ALOT of work I got the action sitting strait and shapped pretty close the the McMillan A5 and it works great ,I ended up giving it to a buddy that started on a realy nice piece of walnut for his first try at building a stock and he screwed it up bad so I loaned him mine , forever probably , he likes it alot.

Anyway , if you just looking for a bench stock the regular Savage BVSS is a good one , it rides the bags well.

A fella by the name of Joel Russo build some good looking stocks based off of the A5 but their laminated and theirs only about a 3 week wait. I have one ordered for a Sako right now
Old 07-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

Kevin Rayhill Stockade Gunstocks I have his phone number at home. He does fantastic work with Savage's He did a stock for me and I love it, he did some smith work also. Good Guy.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Gold Member

McMillan makes stocks for Savage rifles.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

You can email Joel Russo if you are interested in a laminated stock in an A-5 shape or in a thumbhole varmint configuration. Ask him for some pictures. Prices are very reasonable for the quality and speed and customer service. I took his thumbhole varmint stock and put the foreend on a belt sander and got it nice and flat and it shoots very well either from front and rear bags or bipod. Of course with a flat bottom foreend you really have to crank a bipod down tight to keep it from slipping around on you. If I had any forethought I am sure Joel would have made it flat for me and saved me the trouble.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Also check out Savage shooters web site. they have a want ads section on there site. might be able to find a factory take off stock.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

V MAX 204

If you're interested in a laminated stock, send me an e-mail and I'll show you some pictures of my stocks.

jkrussos@comcast . net

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"