Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is a stock Remington 700P .308 a 1000 yard gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is a stock Remington 700P .308 a 1000 yard gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goattman View Post
WR,
Trying not to mooch here, (I am actually more able to work on my own firearm than the average bear, but also OCD and a bit anal...) how to you keep the threads of your mount screws and the receiver free of bedding material?
Brownell's release agent or clear shoe polish.

Use a very thin layer of epoxy on the bottom of the rail keeping it away from the screw holes as much as you can.

Pretreat the screw holes in the action before placing the rail in position with the holes lined up as well as you can.

Pretreat the screws as well.

Start with the inside screws and just tighten them down to where it makes contact.

Then do the outside screws doing the same. Them in a skip pattern slowly torque them down just enough to get good contact with the rail and action. Then give each of them about another half turn.

Let it set from there for 24 hours before torquing it all down to spec. I usually go with about 14in/lbs, same as the ring screws.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 AM

Thank you, about what I was planning.

Of course another question...

If my receiver is .010" lower in the rear than the front, I need to verify with whatever rail I use, why wouldn't I just start to snug the front and let the rear float more with the screws installed to take up the gap in the rear? As opposed to starting in the center and working my way out.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

If my receiver is .010" lower in the rear than the front, I need to verify with whatever rail I use, why wouldn't I just start to snug the front and let the rear float more with the screws installed to take up the gap in the rear? As opposed to starting in the center and working my way out.

Thanks!
Your rail should be made to fit securely on both ends with no gaps or bowing.

Doing the bedding and torquing the way I laid out takes care of most of that. If you can tighten your front screws and have that much clearance on the rear I'd get some lapping compound and lap the front end until you get it where it will set level.

If it does have a bow in it then it's going to create downrange problems on you and if it's bad enough could even damage the scope body when you mount it.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Are you 110% sure it's your reciever, and not your rail? The rail being bent or over-cut would be more realistic.

I'm not saying it's not possible, just have you checked both and measured both to be sure it's the reciever and not just the rail?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 AM

I'm not 100% sure it is the receiver. I checked the two Weaver rails I have and both have a gap. The 20 MOA is worse than the 0. Neither rails are particularly good. Based on Michael's statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
It's usually the tolerances of the actions that vary. Most 700 actions fall short and need shims or to be bedded.
I wasn't sure. I like to think it is the rail and not that Remington has .010" tolerances... I just ordered NF 20 MOA rail.

Obviously I will check it when I get it.

By the way MudRunner and WildRose, if either of you are ever in the Philadelphia area, look me up. I owe you a range day and your favorite beverage.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

I've never been a particular fan of Weaver products. The only weaver products I own are the bases that fit on my Marlin 917 VSS & VSF .17 HMR rifles. And sitting on top of those are Leupold PRW rings. LOL! I was hoping for higher quality bases, but the local outdoors store only had those bases. I wonder if I could talk EGW into making a 1-piece picatinny base for them.... That would be sweet!

Anyway, digressing back to the conversation at hand... I have never had to bed any of my rails. They have all mounted flush and smooth and tight with no play. I do put all 4 screws in at once and start my torquing process from the inside to the outside, tightening a little here, little there. It really helps to delegate even pressure amongst the 4 screws.

Let us know how that NF base works out for you. I have heard nothing but positive about them.

And to answer your original question about your gun being a 1,000 yard gun....By simply bedding the action, floating the barrel, truing the headspacing, and with practice....Yes, it can be a consistant 1000 yard competitor. Don't let anyone try to tell you any different. Especially if you've found the right ammo, or right handload combo, and your gun is shooting 1/2 MOA or better @ 100 yards.

Now, some factory Remingtons won't hit the broad-side of crap....My buddy has a Remington 770 that is a one of those Walmart special POS's, that comes with the $0.50 Bushnell scope. I sighted it in for him, since he was having a hard time. It's lucky to group 4-6" at 100 yards. It's horrific.

But I have NEVER seen an actual 700 that wouldn't shoot under 1 MOA @ 100 yards. Some people just don't know how to shoot. And I've witnessed that first-hand. I can't tell you how many people with high-dollar rigs I've had to help sight their scopes in @ 100 yards, or show them features on their OWN weapons that they didn't know about.... LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 AM

Knowing my rifle and my ability I never doubted it. Having only shot to 800 yards, I wasn't sure if something magical happened between 800 and 1000 based on what the clown at the LGS stated.

If the rail sits flat I won't bed it.