Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is a stock Remington 700P .308 a 1000 yard gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is a stock Remington 700P .308 a 1000 yard gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goattman View Post
"If it's shooting that well"... Now I'm thinking, if it ain't broke why fix it? The scope lives on my rifle. Anyone see any opportunity for long term problems with the aluminum Weaver rail and my homemade .010" shim? I used a SS feeler gauge.
Nope, just check your base screws from time to time to make sure they are tight.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
"If it's shooting that well"... Now I'm thinking, if it ain't broke why fix it? The scope lives on my rifle. Anyone see any opportunity for long term problems with the aluminum Weaver rail and my homemade .010" shim? I used a SS feeler gauge.
The only problem I see is the possibility of the shim shifting or falling out creating play in the rail which will have your scope wobbling and vibrating to such at extent it could damage the scope or even cause the mounting bolts {Rail to Rifle) to back out or shear off.

A completely solid and consistent bond between the rail and rifle is pretty essential which is why most of us bed them in with some form of epoxy. It's not as important on a low recoiling caliber like .308 as it is on the magnums but it does make a difference.

As for the scope itself only you can determine if it's got the magnification and clarity you want when moving on past 600yds. Up to 600yds you can get away with a lot, beyond 600 life starts getting awfully complex.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

How do you install your rail? Do you install both middle screws first, then work your way out? If not, that is a better method than just tightenting down on one end all the way, first. You just snug them up from the middle, out. B/c if you tighten down just one side first, then go to tighten the other, you do leave yourself alot of room for screwing something up, bending, warping, misaligning, the rail...or cross-threading your screws.

And if none of that helps, just break down and buy you a new rail.

Like mentioned before in this thread, the EGW rails are about the best there is. I use them exclusively b/c of the quality and their very reasonable price.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
No shimming is not more durable or stable.

JB weld works great, so does devcon.

clean both surfaces well with a little steel wool and acetone, thinly apply the epoxy and then just barely snug the screws down just enough to get solid contact.

Use a qtip or exacto to remove most of the excess and use a cotton ball or the other end of the q tip wetted with just a tad of the acetone to remove and smooth the rest.

After 24 hours torque the screws on down and it'll be set for life.
So no release agent between the receiver and mount?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So no release agent between the receiver and mount?
On my own no. If I was doing it for someone else I'd ask them which way they wanted to go.

Once I put one on I have no plans to take them off. I don't change out my gear or accessories unless something is wrong.

The more solid the meld between receiver and rail the better off you are.

On some of the magnums I've also after mounting drill through the rail into the receiver to place one or two pins.

If you use big heavy scopes on magnums there's a hell of a lot of shearing forces at work every time you pull the trigger and I have seem some guys have a very expensive scope fly off and crash into the cement when their allen screws sheared off.

Bolts and screws, especially those threaded from tip to head don't have very good resistance against shearing forces because the threading greatly weakens them.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
How do you install your rail? Do you install both middle screws first, then work your way out? If not, that is a better method than just tightenting down on one end all the way, first. You just snug them up from the middle, out. B/c if you tighten down just one side first, then go to tighten the other, you do leave yourself alot of room for screwing something up, bending, warping, misaligning, the rail...or cross-threading your screws.

And if none of that helps, just break down and buy you a new rail.

Like mentioned before in this thread, the EGW rails are about the best there is. I use them exclusively b/c of the quality and their very reasonable price.
I wouldn't say EGW's are "the best" but they are certainly the best I've found for the money.

I have all kinds of different rails from EGW to NF, to Leupold, to Murphy precision and they all work just as well.

On any magnums though that I put the EGW's on I get the HD version.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
No shimming is not more durable or stable.

JB weld works great, so does devcon.

clean both surfaces well with a little steel wool and acetone, thinly apply the epoxy and then just barely snug the screws down just enough to get solid contact.

Use a qtip or exacto to remove most of the excess and use a cotton ball or the other end of the q tip wetted with just a tad of the acetone to remove and smooth the rest.

After 24 hours torque the screws on down and it'll be set for life.
WR,
Trying not to mooch here, (I am actually more able to work on my own firearm than the average bear, but also OCD and a bit anal...) how to you keep the threads of your mount screws and the receiver free of bedding material?

Last edited by goattman; 04-22-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Update