Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is a stock Remington 700P .308 a 1000 yard gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 03:56 PM

Is a stock Remington 700P .308 a 1000 yard gun?

So, I have a .308 700P. Bone stock. Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP. The scope sits on a POS aluminum Weaver 20 MOA rail. I needed to add a .010" shim under the back of the rail because when the front was tight, there was a .010" gap in the back. Leupold PRW steel rings. With this set up and a 100 yard zero, I have 44 MOA of elevation. (Does this seem about right as it is a 60 MOA scope?)

So I am thinking a nice steel rail may help. At least the shimming issue, and maybe a better rail will add a few MOA. With this in mind, I stop at the LGS at my local range. I ask if they can get a Ken Farrell rail. After looking, no. Man behind the counter inquires what it is going on. I give the above info. "How far are you looking to shoot" 1000 yards I reply. "Never do it with that gun. You need Vortex HD with larger tube and a custom action. When you're ready to shoot that far, come in and we will build you a gun that will do it."

Besides the fact that he came off as sounding like a used car salesman, is he right? Of course, I replied that in the '60's guys were making those kinds of shots and would have given their left nut to have the set up I have...

I have already shot steel at 800 yards with same gun, sans the scope that at the time was a Leupold VX-II 3-12.

Today I fired a 3 shot group at 600 yards. One flier cause I miss read the wind. The other 2 were within .25" of each other in elevation, and 2" apart in windage.

Finally, my ballistic calculator, that seems to fit my rifle and loads extremely well, says 42 MOA at 1000 yards. I have 44 MOA. Should I go to 30 MOA, or get 20 MOA (Ken Farrell) and see if the better rail magically adds a few MOA?

Almost forgot most important part... Shooting paper and steel only at 1000 yards!

Current load data: SMK 168 over 44.0 gr IMR 4064 in Wichester/Black Hills brass with CCI BR2 primer clocked at 2650 fps. I realize I may need to work up a 175 gr load.

Last edited by goattman; 04-21-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Update information...
Old 04-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: Is a stock Remington 700P .308 a 1000 yard gun?

Yes the 308 in any configuration can make a 1000 yard target gun. Search F/TR and see for yourself.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

You can do it. If you have 44MOA, that will be just enough. It will take somewhere between 39 and 43 MOA for 1000 depending on velocity and bullet.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

You can get a 30 MOA rail to give you a little extra. You will still need to shim the rear but I still feel like a 1 peice rail is a more reliable mounting option.

Btw, the factory PSS 308 is a fine 1000 yard rifle as long as you don't expect great numbers in regards windage. That said, the 190 VLD, 208 Amax and maybe some of the newer Berger 200's seriously reduce windage.

Once you start practicing with a 308 you'll want to hunt with it too! Accuracy, consistency, mild recoil and enough 'power' to get the job done.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
You can get a 30 MOA rail to give you a little extra. You will still need to shim the rear but I still feel like a 1 peice rail is a more reliable mounting option.
Why are you so sure I will need to shim? I am hoping that a quality rail will have the proper manufacturing to eliminate the need for a shim. I didn't shim for the elevation, I shimmed to correct the poor fit.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by goattman View Post
Why are you so sure I will need to shim? I am hoping that a quality rail will have the proper manufacturing to eliminate the need for a shim. I didn't shim for the elevation, I shimmed to correct the poor fit.
It's usually the tolerances of the actions that vary. Most 700 actions fall short and need shims or to be bedded.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:51 PM

ME, thanks. I was hoping it was the rail.