Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Stock for my 338 lapua?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 06:13 AM
Bronze Member

Stock for my 338 lapua?

Hi to all.

This is my new one and a bit year old custom rifle. Due to work i m still in the process of running it in and today i stumbled on a few problems. I want to use this rifle for long range hunting and require to carry it in the fields. Until today i used to shoot it at the rifle range which didnt require to carry it too far. Today i decided to go finish the running in process and went to a property which i shoot at and had to carry it to my designated spot which was about 1.5 kilometers (about 1 mile) from my car and i wasnt impressed.
I posted some photos of my rifle and as you can see its not a light rifle.
Can anyone suggest me of a stock of good quality which is light and practical for my rifle.
My rifle consists of the following;
<Nesika bay action (single shot action)
<Maddco barrel (1 inch diameter, 25 inch length)
<Jewel trigger (without safety catch)

Old 03-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

sniperboy,

That's a really nice looking outfit.

You didn't state the weight but it "looks" to be on the order of 15 pounds maybe even more.

I'd suggest thinking differently as in, thinking about a carry system instead of the expense of a different stock. The stock you have looks good and most probably shoot good. Why mess with a good thing.

PM me and well exchange some ideas.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Wow!

That looks really nice. Do you have an idea what the stock weighs now? THat would help in suggestion lighter ones.

Looks like most of the weight is in the Scope and barreld action!

I will wait to give a suggestion tell we find out what the current one weighs, but damn that looks like a great 1000 yrd f class gun!

Willys
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 AM
Silver Member

[quote=sniperboy;197520]Hi to all.

This is my new one and a bit year old custom rifle. Due to work i m still in the process of running it in and today i stumbled on a few problems. I want to use this rifle for long range hunting and require to carry it in the fields. Until today i used to shoot it at the rifle range which didnt require to carry it too far. Today i decided to go finish the running in process and went to a property which i shoot at and had to carry it to my designated spot which was about 1.5 kilometers (about 1 mile) from my car and i wasnt impressed.
I posted some photos of my rifle and as you can see its not a light rifle.
Can anyone suggest me of a stock of good quality which is light and practical for my rifle.
My rifle consists of the following;
<Nesika bay action (single shot action)
<Maddco barrel (1 inch diameter, 25 inch length)
<Jewel trigger (without safety catch)

Look at Robertson Composites

Robertson Composites Inc. - Composite Rifle Stocks

or Manners

Manners Composite Stocks

Stercus Accidit.

Nice try means you suck spelled different.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Bronze Member

Hi to all and thank you for your replies.
In answer to Willys 46, the stock weighs about 5.5 - 6 pounds. I was out on a property yesterday adding to the running in process and also found the actual size of the forend of the stock makes it a bit awkward to hold plus carry it around. But the weight was still a lot. Is 5.5 - 6 pound to much for a stock?

Sniperboy