Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Stix or Bipod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Bronze Member

Stix or Bipod

Will be going to Co. Elk hunting with Rem bdl 300rum. Back and forth between getting a bipod or using a walking/shooting stick. Any suggestions on either and what brands have you found that work best. Prefer a light weight bipod if I go that route.
thanks, DM
Old 07-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Stix or Bipod

Harris bipod
Old 07-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

A stick has only one leg, thus very unstable.

Cross sticks are much better but there is no rear support. They are a bit of a different breed of cat to shoot from vs tri or bipods.

If you use a bipod (harris) I'd suggest a sitting version as it can be used in the short position for prone and extended for setting. Some times tall grass is a problem.

I'd also recommend not using a walking stick. That third leg sticks out like a sore thumb in nature.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Gold Member

Consider both, heres why.. You should be using your binocs to glass a lot. I use my sticks for setting my binos on for long periods of glassing. I also use them for quick and fairly close range shots. Long shots I use the bipod or my pack. Just a thought.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Consider both, heres why..

[/ QUOTE ]
Good post, I agree 100%. I think I posted the same question a year ago. I took both hunting and found the stoney sticks best in the high mountains - but along the Missouri the Harris was the best tool. This fall I'll be toting the pair again, but with the tallest Harris (in many places the grass was too high for the medium Harris).

BTW, I've tried the cheaper bi-pods and consider them junk next to the Harris.