Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Steep Uphill/Downhill with CDS/Kenton/Huskemaw type turret

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 11:47 AM

Steep Uphill/Downhill with CDS/Kenton/Huskemaw type turret

O.K. Here is a new twist to an old question. While hunting yesterday I attempted a shot at a critter on a STEEP angle. (I did not have my normal L.R. I ranged the animal at 385, the angle was approx. 60 Deg. So............ Being that I can't use MOA because of the type scope. How do I set my scope to the correct yardage? (Keep in mind if it was 50% on the cosine, that is 50% of the MOA or Drop NOT the yardage) ?!?! :( !!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: Steep Uphill/Downhill with CDS/Kenton/Huskemaw type turret

You can use the cosine on the yardage number, so 50% of 385 is 192.5. I'd dial for approximately 200 yards and you would be good to go.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:44 PM

That's kind of the reason I posted. "They" had determined that the percentage had to be applied to the MOA or the Drop and NOT the yardage, because of the disparity. I shot over my intended target 3 times yesterday and hit on the third shot by aiming way low, by using the % times the yardage?!?!?! (BTW, the "THEY" are all the guy's who debated uphill/downhill shots and all the previous post's on the subject)
Old 10-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

that is correct ,,,,, with a 60 degree angle up or down, I believe you multiply the actual range by .5 and then dial the scope for that range ,,,, ((400 actual range X .5, and dial for 200 ,,,,,

if my memory serves me right a 45 degree angle up or down would be about a .7 multiplier ,,,,,

30 degree angle up or down would be an approximate .8 multiplier ,,,,,,

I also heard that there were rangefinders now that did the angle math for you ?
Old 10-19-2013, 04:01 PM

I was able to find the article where they go into detail on this:

Link:The Saga Of The Uphill-Downhill Shot, Part I

Check it out!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

about 15 years ago when I was trying to figure this out for myself, ((after shooting right over the top of a trophy Dalls Ram at 350 yards)),,,,,,,

I ran the numbers the old fashion way, with a piece of paper and a ruler ,,,,, this way you can also visually understand the concept better when you can look at it ,,,,,,

all that matters to bullet trajectory is what I call the horizontal distance to the animal or target ,,,,,,

does not matter if you are shooting up or down from horizontal, all that matters is the horizontal distance to the animal ,,,,,

take a large piece of paper or the back of a cardboard box and using a ruler, first draw a perfect 10" X 10" square ,,,,,

then within the square, draw vertical and horizontal graduations every one inch ,,,,,

now assign each inch to equal 100 yards ,,,,,,,,

now draw an imaginary line within that box at whatever angle you want to calculate the horizontal distance for ,,,,,,, and then measure the length of the line, with the ruler, again 1" equals 100 yards ,,,,,,

so if you measure one of your lines at 8" for instance, or 800 Yards, look and see what the vertical line grid it intersects at 8" corresponds to ,,,,,,

if you drew a 45 degree angle line 8" long, it should end up about halfway between the 5th and 6th vertical grid line ,,,,,,,

I hope I am making sense ,,,,,
Old 10-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

That is a steep shot for sure.... but I am not sure I understand your question are you saying that you were using a non moa scope and had trouble coming up with an effective firing solution???

Most ballistic programs like shooter have the angle compensation built in...also a lot of the new range finders give a true distance to target based on the angle of the shot.

I have a cosign indicator on my elr rifles, but the rangefinder I currently use does the math for me eliminating an error on my part with the math.

If your using a mil type scope or a bdc the most accurate way to get the correct solution would be to use a ballistic program designed for that type of reticle.