Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Steel targets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Steel targets

3/8 to a 1/2" should be enough for that distance. The 5/8 we use weighs 65lbs and is a little difficult to carry for any distance. Lighter is always better.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

yea, for where i will shoot it can be driven by truck or atv type thing, but i will try 3/8 or 1/2 i got a price on 1/2 cut, this stuff isn't cheap its through Nivert metal supply in northeastern pa, not sure how their prices are but i do not have too many resources around here
Old 11-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeless61 View Post
i can get any thickness ar-400 cut to what i want, what thickness would you suggest? as i said no closer than 300 yards, and will be hit with a 338 edge with 300 smk that will be the biggest
I dont know any thing about what steel is better but i have shot my edge at 1/2" steel at 500 and it hits it so hard that it punches a 3/4" plug out of the steel and through a piece of 3/4" ply wood most of the time. i have found the plug a couple of the times in the wood thats how i know whats going on. i shot a guys target at the range one day at a 100 i dont know what kind of steel it was but i only made a very small dent in it he said he got it off the web it is some bad stuff cause it was maybe 3/8" thick
Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff 300 View Post
I dont know any thing about what steel is better but i have shot my edge at 1/2" steel at 500 and it hits it so hard that it punches a 3/4" plug out of the steel and through a piece of 3/4" ply wood most of the time. i have found the plug a couple of the times in the wood thats how i know whats going on. i shot a guys target at the range one day at a 100 i dont know what kind of steel it was but i only made a very small dent in it he said he got it off the web it is some bad stuff cause it was maybe 3/8" thick

Sounds like you hit mild steel at 500yrds. That stuff is pretty soft compared to R400. The stuff you hit at 100 sounds like it might be R4 or 500 also.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeless61 View Post
yea, for where i will shoot it can be driven by truck or atv type thing, but i will try 3/8 or 1/2 i got a price on 1/2 cut, this stuff isn't cheap its through Nivert metal supply in northeastern pa, not sure how their prices are but i do not have too many resources around here
Yeah tell me about it. I split the cost of our steel and welding costing us in total almost $70 for a 12"x24" piece of 5/8".

Tank

Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

is this stuff sold by most steel stores
Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

ar 500 does not seem to be sold by just anyone, Nivert where i can get the ar 400, is a pretty big metal shop, and they said ar 500 is not even something they really special order. but this is all in northeastern pa so i have no idea about other places