Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: I currently have hunting preference points in the following states
Poll Options
I currently have hunting preference points in the following states

In which states do you currently have preference points?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 07:36 PM

Re: In which states do you currently have preference points?

I have a couple less now that my credit card was hit. Arizona Elk.
Praise God!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

I'm max points for Elk and Antelope in CA, only have 6 in Colorado.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:00 AM
Silver Member

I have 5 points CO & 1 in SD. I don't think points are about conservation. Years ago I was turned downed for Nonresident South Dakota West River Deer because they had gotten Blue tongue but it we paid more for are license we could receive a buck only license. Like I was going to buy a expensive Nonresident license just to shoot a doe. It's all about the money. If they don't have deer, buy paying more it does not increase the heard size.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

Well, Maryland isn't listed and thats the only place I have preference points for and that's for Black Bear. My wife drew last yr and chocked on one at 40 yds. I get a little jealous when seeing pics like I saw earlier of someone nailing a Bobcat. Our season is closed for them here. Someday I might get back out west and hunt.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 PM

I have 15 for colorado elk and mule deer can anyone give me a lead on an honest guide that will not BS me about the quality of animals he hunts. Don't want to waste 15 yrs of p points to a BS'er. Would like a decent chance at a trophy animal. Don't want and am not looking for a gurantee, but at least want to be in the area that they roam!
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:21 AM
Silver Member

In truth Preference Points level the playing field. Most states require a person to purchase a hunting license in order to get the P Points. Here in California I have 2 PPs. In order to get them I buy my license and a deer tag application. The tag gives you 3 options on your hunting areas of choice. For 2014 my 1st choice: Preference Point Deer, 2nd choice: Anterless Deer, 3rd choice: Buck Deer D16.
If not successful in the draws, I've requested a refund. Out of pocket cost $71,07. A refund will only cover the cost of the deer tag $30.81.
Preference Points over the years have allowed me to plan Northern California Premium Deer Hunts in some of the Top Hunting Locations.

I hunted Colorado 2011 for Elk using 3 Preference Points and harvested a nice 5x5 Bull during the 3rd Rifle Season in Unit 66.

Good Luck.
Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS
Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Bronze Member

If you wait a couple years, I'd recommend Garvey Bros. in unit 61.
I have 16 and don't have enough to go 1st season (prolly WON"T with the creep either), but have enough for 2nd season NEXT year. I won't be using a guide, but these guys come HIGHLY recommended by HF magazine and I interviewed Stan & Doylene in 2008 and liked their camp, equipment, demeanor. Just can't swing the moola. It's more now.
You have a legitimate chance at something at or over 300. Good luck whatever you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdkillr View Post
I have 15 for colorado elk and mule deer can anyone give me a lead on an honest guide that will not BS me about the quality of animals he hunts. Don't want to waste 15 yrs of p points to a BS'er. Would like a decent chance at a trophy animal. Don't want and am not looking for a gurantee, but at least want to be in the area that they roam!
Thanks in advance.