Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: I currently have hunting preference points in the following states
Poll Options
I currently have hunting preference points in the following states

In which states do you currently have preference points?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: In which states do you currently have preference points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
In some states you can accrue points by either buying a point or being unsuccessful in a draw and getting a point, these point are like having extra tickets in the pot so to speak come draw time increasing the odds of drawing.
Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. I guess I'm beneith everyone else, so they feel obligated to skip over my question.

Anyway, so basically it sounds like some conservation BS and that it sucks for almost all the hunters in that area...Am I on the right track?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338edge View Post
Idaho doesn't have preference points!
Needed to tune up my comprehension knob, buying the license is not the same as having points attached.

I got checking boxes, and couldn't stop.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. I guess I'm beneith everyone else, so they feel obligated to skip over my question.

Anyway, so basically it sounds like some conservation BS and that it sucks for almost all the hunters in that area...Am I on the right track?
No, it has nothing to do with conservation, it simply gives guys who put in year after year a better chance of drawing.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

I would say it is for conservation in some ways. An alternative would be to offer tags over the counter, like most whitetail states. But they do a draw to limit the tags.

Of course, not all draw states have points, like NM. But the draw aspect, I would say, is for conservation.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

It's about the Benjamin's. A way to leverage maximum dollars from fewer and fewer tags.

Selling chances instead of tags, frees "wildlife" departments to ignore solutions to falling tag numbers, a coyote is worth the same as an antelope circle of life BS. It allows them to consider those against hunting equally with those paying the bills.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

Colorado!!! Muley hunt, Len!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
It's about the Benjamin's. A way to leverage maximum dollars from fewer and fewer tags.

Selling chances instead of tags, frees "wildlife" departments to ignore solutions to falling tag numbers, a coyote is worth the same as an antelope circle of life BS. It allows them to consider those against hunting equally with those paying the bills.
+1 Show em the $$$. Spend hundreds on PP and never get drawn makes you wonder why you even try some times.