Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Starting point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 09:20 PM

Re: Starting point

The noise from the brake is a concern I have, but I am trying to weigh the advantages of the reduced recoil apposed to the increased noise. To be honest I havn't had the oportunity to shoot anywhere near 800 yrds. That would be my goal to get to that point. Bottom line is I need to start at ground zero and build my ability along with building up my rifle. I just want to be sure that the things I do will give me the end result I want.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Im getting mine capped because I shot a buck without earplugs in and lost all hearing in my left ear for 3 hours. If your not sensitive to recoil I wouldnt get one installed. If you do, get it so that it comes on and off easily and only use it when your set up with a long shot and have time to put in plugs. then you get the best of both worlds.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 PM

Which brake do you have?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP.338 View Post
Hello to everyone. I am new to the sport of long range hunting and I have many of the same questions as alot of new guys, is my rig a good starting point? I have a Rem 700 XCR in .338 WM topped with a basic Leupold VX3.
I know I am looking at upgrading the scope in the future but I wanted some thoughts on if the rifle itself is a good starting point for let's say 800+ yrds? That is my goal. If it is what would be the right first steps in accurizing? Possibly muzzle brake, recoil pad.. Thanks in advance.
It all depends on how your rifle shoots.

IF you can find a load it will shoot .75moa at 100yds, you have something to work with.

If you don't, you're going to have a real hard time beyond 600yds.

As for glass, you can spend a lot more than you did on your VX 3 without getting any appreicable return.

What magnification is it? Is it a side focus parallax adjust?

Has your rifle been free floated and pillar bedded?

If you haven't done the latter I'd say start right there, then see if you can get a load that suits you.

Welcome.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The noise from the brake is a concern I have, but I am trying to weigh the advantages of the reduced recoil apposed to the increased noise. To be honest I havn't had the oportunity to shoot anywhere near 800 yrds. That would be my goal to get to that point. Bottom line is I need to start at ground zero and build my ability along with building up my rifle. I just want to be sure that the things I do will give me the end result I want.
All else aside, a good brake will allow you to see your hits and misses as they occur by reducing muzzle flip.

It's absolutely worthwhile in my opinion for that if nothing else.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mike you might want to consider giving this one a look.

ASI Linear Compensator.

Carl developed this brake and it is not only very effective particularly at reducing muzzle flip, but it keeps all the sound going forward.

They work very well.

Rifle Accuracy Systems Inc Custom Accurate Rifles Barrel Conversions Ruger Mini Remington 700 7400 750 AR10 AR15

Last edited by WildRose; 08-26-2011 at 01:15 AM.