Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Starting point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 07:03 PM

Starting point

Hello to everyone. I am new to the sport of long range hunting and I have many of the same questions as alot of new guys, is my rig a good starting point? I have a Rem 700 XCR in .338 WM topped with a basic Leupold VX3.
I know I am looking at upgrading the scope in the future but I wanted some thoughts on if the rifle itself is a good starting point for let's say 800+ yrds? That is my goal. If it is what would be the right first steps in accurizing? Possibly muzzle brake, recoil pad.. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Starting point

You are on the right track.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 PM

With that being said. What muzzle brake would you recommend?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

You can use one of the muscle breaks that are sold on this site. Kirby Allen's APS break works very well on my cousin's 338 Lapua. Shawn Carlock makes some very nice breaks. For the money I would suggest the muscle break.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:40 PM

Thats the one I am leaning towards. I plan on giving them a call Monday or so. Hopefully it will calm the recoil some.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

A muzzle brake and a recoil pad does nothing for the rifle as far as accuracy but they really help with controlling flinching in a heavy recoiling rifle and that makes you more accurate. Personally for a hunting carry rifle I don't care for brakes as the noise will tear your ears off without protection but the noise can be dealt with in the field.

You don't say how well the rifle shoots now. Have you took it to 800 yards and can you stay within 1 MOA at that range? How well does it group at 300 yards consistently? I would suggest finding a qualified rifle smith near you and have a conversation after you have shot it enough to know what you and the rifle are capable of and where you would like to go.

Yes the 338 Win Mag is a very capable 800 yard rifle. Good luck with your endeavor.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 08-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

I started with a similar rig. My rifle is a .338 RUM M700 XCR. The .338 win is about as capable as the .300 WIN so you're in business. I found my XCR to be very accurate with hand loads, though I wish that it had a heavier conour barrel. You'll have to see how accurate you can get your rifle to shoot and that will be the deciding factor on how far you can shoot.

on gear, all that I can really say is that you should be trying to shoot the highest B.C 225 grain bullets you can find and you should send your scope to leupold and get some turrets installes. I believe that alot of guys around here also use Kenton Ind. Turrets also.

I personally wouldnt brake a .338 Win. the recoil is managable and with a rifle as light as the XCR i doubt that you'll be able to spot your won shots.