Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

starting over! long range gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Gold Member

starting over! long range gun

I started getting a big interest in long range shooting about 2 years ago. I didn't have the proper equipment and still dont but tried to make what i had work. I have a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm topped with a vortex viper pst. It is a really nice hunting rifle but not much for long range. My little brother offered me some money for it and im thinking of letting him buy it. I also just got a part time job at a gun store that gives me incredible discounts on guns and scopes. i dnot have the money to go full custom as i am off to school next year but i can slowly build it up to something that will work awesome. I was thinking of getting a 300. win mag in a remington 700 sendero. I can get most guns at great prices. I want a 300 win mag, and i figured the sendero would be a great start and an awesome base for a custom gun. Any suggestions?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: starting over! long range gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
I started getting a big interest in long range shooting about 2 years ago. I didn't have the proper equipment and still dont but tried to make what i had work. I have a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm topped with a vortex viper pst. It is a really nice hunting rifle but not much for long range. My little brother offered me some money for it and im thinking of letting him buy it. I also just got a part time job at a gun store that gives me incredible discounts on guns and scopes. i dnot have the money to go full custom as i am off to school next year but i can slowly build it up to something that will work awesome. I was thinking of getting a 300. win mag in a remington 700 sendero. I can get most guns at great prices. I want a 300 win mag, and i figured the sendero would be a great start and an awesome base for a custom gun. Any suggestions?
Good choice of both caliber and platform. I would however say if you want to go LR in a .30 cal go ahead and go with the .300Rum. The extra energy you can get really does make a difference beyond 600yds.

As a qualifier, I shoot both the 300WM and 300 Rum and love them both along with my 7mm STW's.

On that note, keep a watch on the classified section here at LRH, there's always some good deals there, and sometimes some really great deals. There's a couple of 300wm's and 300Rum's there now that would make you an ideal place to start.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Depending on budget (you said your gonna be going to school, so I assume college?), I would lean towards a 7mm of some type. Once you hit .30cal price of bullets go up. I know because I could barely afford to shoot my .338 RUM for a number of years.

I think that the senduro is and excellent platform to start on, and your caliber choice is a great one, just make sure that you can get some rounds down range with it $$ wise.

If you think that a 7 of some sort would suite you, I think another equall performer is the coyote lite from winchester and you could get it in 7 WSM.

When in your position, I went the bigger route with the .338 and dont regret it. So maybe the .30 is right for you. I just know that I could have shot out a barrel already with what Ive got through my RUM.

I wouldnt underestimate the ole' sporter weight, they can perform. Good luck and congrats on what sounds like a fun job!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Your right on the money man, a Sendero in 300 win mag, get it before the ladies or trucks get your gun money!!!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 AM
Silver Member

The sendero would be a great base to start with. My 2nd choice would be a savage 111 long range hunter, it's a very accurate rifle and affordable too. And given your budget that would let you put the savings into better even optics.

Hey now, one time i reached down to pet a little dog and it was a 5lbs squirrel - Si Robertson
Old 06-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Your right on the money man, a Sendero in 300 win mag, get it before the ladies or trucks get your gun money!!!!!!

BNG, You are wise beyond your years! So very true... I got a good laugh at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem700 View Post
The sendero would be a great base to start with. My 2nd choice would be a savage 111 long range hunter, it's a very accurate rifle and affordable too. And given your budget that would let you put the savings into better even optics.

As stated before, the 300wm & Sendero are a great combo. But I would also agree that the Savage LRH would be another great selection (& probably outshoot the Sendero). This would also help increase your optics budget as well. Win-win Right?

Either way, the 300wm will fit the bill nicely. With the advent of the new 30 cal Bergers rolling out, it is a great time to be a 30cal guy.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Gold Member

I'm okay for price on bullets, maybe if I jumped up too a 338 then I'd start thinking otherwise. I already have a 7mm that's a nice carry hunting rifle. My uncle gave it to me when he retired from hunting and I want to keep it as is for the reason he is passing it through the family. I was going to take my vortex off my 300. Wsm before selling the gun to my brother. That way I have a decent scope in my 7mm and pick up a night force for the new 300. Win mag.
I'm not sure which size to go with weather the 3-15 or the 5-22 would be better