Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

starting out what type of rifle to use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2002, 04:42 PM

Re: starting out what type of rifle to use

I have not heard much about savages. I have read about the 110 and it seems to be a good gun, could you give me a little info on it. (what size groups are common.) I seem to like the heavier rifles around 9-12 pounds when fully scoped and loaded. I have heard little about the 7mm's other than the mags. If you could tell me a little more about the one that you mentioned it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help

jordan
Old 04-11-2002, 05:57 PM
Gold Member

The Savage guns are getting a good bit more popular w/ the varmint crowd. Head on over to the Go Go Varmint Go board for more opinions if you want. The out-of-the-box accuracy of the darned things is about enough to overcome my dislike of the butt-ugly bolt and the cheap plastic stock on the FV models (IMHO, compared to the HS Precision stock on a 700VS).

The Savages are reputed to be pretty easy to change barrels on, and from what I hear, the problem of bolt face size that is an issue on say, a Remington, isn't a big deal on a Savage as the bolt face/head is changeable too.

Most of McMillans stocks can be adapted to a Savage easily, as they have fairly similar receiver shapes.

Another place to read up on the Savages would be at www.snipershide.com, and look up the 'Ghost Dancer' project they have going there. I think they started w/ a 110 or 10 FV in .260 Remington, which has pretty good bullets w/ high BC available, mild recoil, excellent accuracy and good barrel life.

Alternately, Savage has another of their 'package' guns available, kind of like their specials you see at Wal-Mart or other stores, but for LR work at the following:
http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire...awEnf_home.htm

HTH,

Monte

HTH,

Monte
Old 04-11-2002, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

You could use the 10x42SS in the thickets as it will focus down to close range, but the field of view is narrow.

The Savages are great shooters. However, if you want to get the rifle rebarreled later get a Rem 700. Another bonus for the Rem 700 is that a gunsmith can rework the trigger for a very reasonable price.

As far as caliber I would go with 308 and limit my range on big game. Although it's been done 800 yards is pushing it a little far for a 308. But the 308 will be easier and cheaper to practice with compared to the 300win or 7stw. You want to develop good form which is harder to do under recoil. When you wear out the 308 you can move up to a magnum.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:36 PM
*WyoWhisper*

You can get a Rem .308 VLS for $549 Burris signature series 6-24 for $569. Just a little over but..... GREAT BEGINNER SETUP. I started with a 308 and now have been over taken by the disease!!!!
Old 04-11-2002, 11:00 PM
Gold Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> The Savages are great shooters. However, if you want to get the rifle rebarreled later get a Rem 700. Another bonus for the Rem 700 is that a gunsmith can rework the trigger for a very reasonable price.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have to disagree on a couple of points here. One, in my experience, Remington triggers don't usually need 'reworked', just a bit of adjustment, which most people that are half-ways competent w/ mechanical things (i.e. able to reload your own shells, for example) should be able to accomplish on their own, given a bit of time to do it right. Secondly, and this is what I have heard, since I admit to not having a Savage myself, but I was under the impression that if anything, Savage rifles were even easier to rebarrel and properly headspace than a Remington action. Correct me if I'm wrong here, cuz it wouldn't be the first time [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

TIA,

Monte
Old 04-12-2002, 06:52 AM
Silver Member

milanuk,
You're right - there's nothing wrong with the stock Rem trigger. However, for me it was more then worth the $25 I spent to have it stoned, polished, adjusted, set to 2.25 lbs, and loctited. The improvement is obvious. It especially makes a difference when you're shooting standing. On the bench a little creep isn't as big a deal. It's one of those things where what you have seems really good until you compare it side by side with something better. My friend thought his Timney trigger was the best thing since sliced bread until he tried my Jewell. Now he has a Jewell also.
One thing I will say is that the Factory Rem trigger is acceptable, while the Savage isn't.

Of course any good smith can rebarrel a Savage. However, if I was going to pay for a rebarrel job I would go ahead and get the action trued and maybe upgrade a few parts at the same time. I would go with the Rem 700 because most smiths are very familar with the Rem, there are more options (barrels, stocks, etc.), and the resale value is going to be higher for a custom Rem than a custom Savage. It's really a toss-up though so if somebody likes Savages they shouldn't hesitate to go with them.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:46 AM

Longrangehunter,
Just a quick comment.
It takes just about as long to change a Savage barrel as it's going to for me to type this. All it takes is a barrel vise, and a barrel nut wrench. And, about 15 minutes.
Barrels for a Savage are completely finished. There is NO machineing like there is on a remchester. Gunsmiths like the rem's cause you need to use a lathe. More manhours at X dollars per.

Good shooting.
C'ya, John.