Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Starting the little ones out right

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Sponsor

Starting the little ones out right

Just wanted to take a second to affirm what most everyone here already knows. Teaching little shooters safety, ethics, and fundementals of accuracy is the future of our sport. Take a little one shooting, hunting & fishing any chance you get. I am always impressed with how much a child can learn in a short period if they are interested. I post this photo of my son Tyler at 4 years old from last weeks dad and son shooting day. it was just personel 1 on 1 time. The fact that his shooting impressed me was just a bonus.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: Starting the little ones out right

Like Father, like Son!!

Good job Dad!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Gold Member

Shawn,

You have hit the nail on the head. A lot of people do not realize what the young ones are really capable of if they are just taken time with and tought properly.

My grandson was telling me the differences between deer tracks, and pointing out rubs and scrapes at age 3. My duaghter was the same way. They were just exposed to it from the get go and it has been a part of their life always.

I am constantly hearing folks tell me they can't wait till their kid is old enough to go fishing or hunting, only to find out that they are almost in their teens. Seems somewhat sad to me being brought up the way I was, when you could keep up you went out with the older folks. When you could hold the rifle steady on a rest it was time to start shooting. Start small and work up, take it slow and make it fun and not long and boring. Let them take their time and it will sink in for sure.

Keep up the good work, you definately have more than enough credentials for the job.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 12-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Shawn,
Congrats on Tylers accuracy looks like he may be giving Dad a few lessons one day. I agree 100% on taking kids out and introducing them to hunting. As you know my son loves the sport and took another buck this year. He has killed one for the last 3 years and he is only 7 years old, those heavy barreled 243's modified stocks(LOP)and bipods work wonders for the young ones. I can only imagine what Tyler's first deer gun will be with you setting him up.

Great job and thanks for sharing.

Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Great!

But he (or the equipment) is lacking something!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I know!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] The gun needs a big honkin' partition style brake and a DE cheek rest! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

He smiles better than Kirby. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Sponsor

It is cut off in the photo but it has a minature DE cheekpiece for the tall optic on it. It is tough for kids to let you know what is wrong when they don't know what is right. Biggest problem I see with kids guns is fit or lack of. Poor gun fit is the beginig of bad shooting habits. If it takes getting a new stock every year so be it. I thought of a slab break for the massive recoil. I am waiting for Kirby to develope a 22 AM rimfire somehow for his daughter.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-19-2006, 02:30 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dan B,

Hey, I smile all the time, just ask Shawn!!! I'm actually quite a happy guy. Do't say much but happy most of the time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Except when I miss on camera [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Just an ugly bastard when I do smile so the camera does not see it that often!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com