Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

starting first full custom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Gold Member

starting first full custom

yet another example of this site costing me money.... thanks to all yall for giving me ideas and introducing me to the world of custom rifles.

after deciding that I wanted to go on a hunt out west, I decided I wanted something a little more potent than my .308win for a rifle if/when I get the chance to go....

....then I started looking at cartridges, and decided on a 7mmWSM build on a short action......

then I decided if I'm going to get a new rifle I might as well go all out and get a custom gun.

after a bunch of agonizing and asking a certain forum member a bunch of annoying questions, I got my parts list figured out:

Action: Bat VRPTRPIC
Barrel: Brux #5 with interrupted fluting
Brake: Mini Magnum Muscle brake:
Trigger: Jewel HVR
Stock: Manners MCS-T
Bottom Metal/Mag: PTG Oberndorf BDL/Wyatt’s Extended Mag Box

Action was ordered 2 weeks ago, and I'm placing the barrel order tomorrow. might be getting the brake ordered soon also....buying parts as I get the money to do so.

if/when parts come in I'll post pics and updates before sending them off to the smith....the pieces that aren't sent directly there....this is going to be a LONG process....
Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: starting first full custom

That's cool man..I just got my first custom this year. They are awesome. Don't forget to slap some good glass on that thing.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
That's cool man..I just got my first custom this year. They are awesome. Don't forget to slap some good glass on that thing.
Already got that figured outNXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR... If I'm going big time, otherwise, I'll get another PST...that was the first thing I decided, and may not be purchases until a year after the rifle...
Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Nice parts list, I have a Brux #5 on a 280AI, it's a great compromise barrel contour, not too heavy. I also have your stock on the 280AI, very nice also. Good luck with the build.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSLRHunter View Post
Nice parts list, I have a Brux #5 on a 280AI, it's a great compromise barrel contour, not too heavy. I also have your stock on the 280AI, very nice also. Good luck with the build.
nice to see that 2/3 of the big parts of my build have been serving others well.

Ordered the barrel abd brake today, brake is 4-5 months out, and the brake will be in the mail today, and then I'll actually have, in my possession, the first piece of the build....Action is coming to me for FFL, hopefully January, bbl is going straight to Deadly Precision to save me some shipping costs.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

Got my first part today.....it's slightly torturous just having this sitting around.....

Thanks to Ryan at Pierision for quick service and awesome help deciding.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
starting first full custom-image.jpg  
Old 07-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Bronze Member

If you are going to shoot Berger VLD's you likely will need a long action or they will not fit.