Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Starting a 600-1000 yd rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 PM

Starting a 600-1000 yd rifle

I just purchased a Savage 111 in 300 Win. Mag. and am looking to make the modifications necessary to make me competitive in the 600-1000 yard comps.

What are the first things I should do?

I know I need a good scope, it already has the Leupold base and rings. It probably needs a heavier barrel, and it needs a little heavier stock since it is VERY light. I am looking to build something that I can compete with, but something that I can also carry out to the field if need be, so I have to make compromises.

I have seen some very good stocks, scopes, etc on this site, but is there something in particular I need for this S111 ?

Last edited by AURktman; 08-04-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Starting a 600-1000 yd rifle

I just finished building a .300 Ultra Mag on a Stevens 200. Still doing load development and have yet to drive it at the ranges that it's meant for but so far I've got a load that puts 3 bullets in 1 hole at 100 yards!

First Build

First thing I'd say is look at screwing on a new barrel. I've got a Savage .270 that's complete factory that will shoot clover leafs all day but if you're looking at competing, you probably want a thicker and longer tube. Also you may find you want a chambering with less recoil for competiotion. If you're getting a new barrel anyway, a $25 bolt head would be all it would take to go to a different chambering like a 6x47 or 6.5/284.

Second thing would be the stock. I haven't shot one of the new accustocks yet so I can't comment on those but I know the older ones have kind of a tupperware feel. Again this isn't something that would bother me in a beater hunting stick but a comp gun is a whole different ball game. Check out Stockade, Mcmillan or MPI

Third would be the trigger. The accutrigger is great in a hunting gun but if you're looking at competition shooting I'd go for something like a Rifle Basix.

I picked up a nikon buckmaster 6-18 with a mil dot at midway USA for $300. I think they still have them on sale. They also have the barrel wrench and barrel vise that you will need to switch barrels yourself.

Good luck and keep the pics coming!

-PJS
Old 08-04-2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks!

I am pretty sure I want to keep it in the 300WM cartridge but will add stuff to the end or change out the stock altogether to absorb the recoil. I know a barrel change is in order, but which one would work with the compromises I need to make? I need something that will get very tight grouping but also not weigh as much as a rail gun. I was thinking a 26"-28" bull barrel, maybe fluted for weight reduction. Is there a preferred manufacturer for this?

Also, I was looking at stocks for them and found a few that I liked, but still not convinced of which direction to go.

Optics, I assume mil-dot is the way to go. I have a Leapers on my RRA CAR A4 but doubt it would stand up to the jolt from the 300WM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Silver Member

The great advantage of using a Savage action is that plenty of barrel makers have threaded-chambered pre-fit barrels that they offer. Shilen, PacNor and McGowan all immediately come to mind and I'm sure more do as well.
I haven't had a chance to shoot it at long range yet but my .300 Ultra with a 30" Shilen will put 3 bullets in 1 hole if I do my part. The barrel is a savage heavy varmint contour and weighs 6#. I'm not sure what the finished rifle is but it's not absurd and I fully intend on carrying it this season.

As for recoil, I put a Kick EZ pad on my factory stock and it made all the difference in the world. My longest session was 25 rounds and, while the thing still has pretty good punch (I don't have a break), I didn't have a single bruise. Highly recommend them.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Bronze Member

I think the first thing you need to do is get a different rifle. the 300 in that little rifle will kick the crap right out of you!! Plus the barrel is going to heat up to fast shooting all that powder. I have nothing against a savage sporter, but i read the word competitive. you can not compete with a rifle like that and expect to win. Good luck though and i truly hope you enjoy the rifle and have tons of success. Lee
Old 08-04-2009, 07:56 PM

Well, the main reason I bought the rifle was for the action. It will get rebarreled with a heavy barrel but in the same caliber. It will get a different stock with a substantial recoil pad as well. I figure it will gain 6-7 pounds before I finish. This is a rifle I want to be able to take to Wyoming for elk as well as not get my rear kicked at a competition.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

October 26, 2008

Hot Shots: Newbie Almost Ties F-Class Record with Savage

Filed under: News — Editor @ 1 am
Can a rifle built on a Savage target action be “big-league” competitive? Apparently so. Forum member Nat Lambeth (aka “Rustystud”) reports that Jeff Saunders shot a 200 with 14 Xs at 600 yards last Saturday at an F-Class Match in Camp Butner, NC. This is one “X” off the National Record (200-15X) on the new F-Class target, and topped the 600-yard F-Open record (200-13X) set by Charles Ballard. Jeff was shooting a Savage target action with a 31″ Broughton 1:8″, 5C barrel chambered in 6mmBRX, in a modified Stockade stock topped with a 12-42×56 Nightforce scope. Jeff is a relatively new shooter and is learning the art of reading the wind. Jeff shot five shots in a row into a 1.75″ spotter before hitting the spindel and destroying the spotter.